LED vs LCD for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcedeAce

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hey, I'm looking at upgrading my old Sony 19" to a better monitor.

The two I am looking at are:

AOC e2236Vwa - LED, 1080p, 5ms response, 22"

or

AOC 2434Pw - LCD, 1080p, 2ms response, 24"

Currently I am leaning towards the LED, as its cheaper and has a higher contrast. But the LCD has a higher response time and is bigger. What do you guys think?

AcedeAce

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Ok, thanks. The LED is quite a bit cheaper, so should I go for that? It has a 5ms response so thats not too bad..

Or do you have an alternate monitor? Open to new ideas :)

chinoroy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
lol jaguarskx didn't even answer your question. i know this is an old thread. but for gaming? i'd go for the 24" LCD. fast response time, not much of a difference than LED, bigger. if you're into video/photo editing. go with LED.

this thread is almost a year old, there is no reason to bring it back to life as the OP most likely made the decision right after he posted the final reply.

jaguarskx did answer the question by explaining just what the difference was between the two monitors. we are here to offer general advice, we cannot possibly know how each and every monitor in existance will perform.

performance wise there is almost zero difference between ccfl and led backlighting. in fact some leds actually tint the screen blue. response time 2ms vs 5ms doesnt matter one bit, not like you can actually see any difference. 22, 24" at the same resolution will not gain you anything in terms of "image quality" by going bigger. in fact the larger you make a monitor but keeping the resolution the same, the less clear the image will be.

this thread needs to be laid to rest now.

aanart28

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I strongly recommend you go for LED as they consume less power and the main thing is the clarity u experience while playing any sort of a game lets say Fifa 14 or Battlefield 4.
Hope this Helped !

Eh, the thread was a good joke but now its run a bit too long to really keep it around.

Just for clarification to anyone who finds this later.
LCD and LED are entirely different things, they are not mutually exclusive. LED refers to the backlight the monitor has, with the main alternative being CCFL. LCD is the technology employed in the monitor panel, that coloured bit that the backlight shines through, pretty much every monitor uses some form of LCD panel.
If you want more info on the topic, you can consult the monitor guide linked in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.