I need another sub for my 7.2 system (Already have martin logan mlt-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdpope88

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hey,

I plan on building a 7.2 sound system. I need one last thing, a second subwoofer. So far I will be using:

Onkyo 609 sound system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120177&cm_re=onkyo_609-_-82-120-177-_-Product

Martin Logan mlt-1 5.1 system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981012&Tpk=82-981-012

polk lsi f/x speakers http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LSiFX-Surround-Speakers/dp/B0009XFQOS

The problem is this leaves me one subwoofer short of a full system. I was wondering if you guys knew any place that I could purchase another martin logan mlt-1 subwoofer or another subwoofer that is similar in power, as so I don't have one subwoofer extremely overpowered. Thanks in advance for your help. You guys are always awesome.

Brian

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
why wont martin logan sell you a 'replacement' subwoofer?
maybe you will have to purchase everything seperately and put it together yourself?

nobody in their right mind is going to seperate the subwoofer from the main speakers.
if there is a scratch or dent, it would probably be sold at a reduced price for the visual problem.
and if the box was crushed during shipment, that would probably be an insurance claim for the business receiving the speakers .. but i dont know if they would ship the entire set back to martin logan or if they would ask martin logan for the specific part that was crushed.
maybe they would get rid of the box and use the speakers as a store display?
or
maybe they would bring the item home for themselves?

it shouldnt be impossible to get a replacement subwoofer, but maybe you have to have a busines license?
or
maybe you have to be a business that is on the list of businesses that ordered the speaker set?

some type of sequence has to happen if there is a problem with the shipping.
i know it doesnt happen often.. but the speakers that remain okay have to go somewhere.
do they get sold or do they get destroyed and recycled?

maybe martin logan should tell you which individual subwoofer they have for sale can be a match for your subwoofer if they wont sell you an exact copy.
i dont think you will get the satisfaction of being 'rest-assured' if one sub is a different brand.. because that difference can linger in your thoughts (or at least your mind)
i dont see why there isn't a 2nd subwoofer for sale when the 7.2 speaker configuration is growing popularity.
however, the set is 5.1 not 7.2
you would have to speak to them on the basis of a 'repair' or 'replacement'
since having parts lying around is usually for individual pieces that might break or get damaged.
there might not be a fully assembled product available for sale.
that means you gotta buy the empty speaker box, then the speaker and amplifier .. put it all together at home, and dont forget the power cord.
those people who sell the parts and put them into a box, they might not be the perfect person to assemble it all.
if a screwdriver slips and causes a scratch on the box or a hole in the speaker, that will cost the business money to repair/replace the product.
but
if you use a screwdriver that causes a hole or a scratch, then it would be your fault and your decision to try and fix or hide the problem.

i cant blame a company for requesting a robot to screw in a screw, if the screw looks professional when it is done.
because using one of those driver adaptors for a screw, it will hide the screw when you try to put it in.
sure, it keeps the screwdriver from becoming detached off the head of the screw .. and that saves scratches and holes, but it does nothing for presentation.
when the screw is offset by an 8th of an inch (or even a 16th of an inch) .. it doesnt look professional or responsible.
now, if the whole thing was custom built.. that is a different story.

anyways..
i just wanted to say 'dont waste your time looking at the stores for a 2nd sub'
because if they do have one, they will probably sell it to a friend on the side before it ever gets listed for sale to the public.
and hey,
maybe they arent allowed to sell a 2nd subwoofer at all, because if martin logan makes that a rule.. then their image is on the line.
it might mean, the shipping carrier used was (or is known to be) irresponsible .. so they often have spares.
maybe the business isnt allowed to sell a 2nd subwoofer because it might look like they are giving you a chance to buy a replacement because the product is going to break soon.
no reason for the business to have a 2nd subwoofer at all.
it is when the other speakers have been ruined and cannot be sold.
scratch and dent is an awesome way to get a product for less money.
but, having permission to sell scratch and dent might make the search impossible without going to martin logan directly.

sometimes a business will charge extra for replacment parts because the original product isnt designed to break .. and if it is broken, that means you abused it.
maybe it is best to let them know right away that you need the entire subwoofer for a 2nd sub, rather than asking for individual pieces.

i think honesty is the best, as it will get you exactly what they want to give you for your situation.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
use audiogon or audio asylum to see what sub woofers they are selling.Usually the sell ML products on there used and new.

Status
Not open for further replies.