Installed XP Pro worked fine for over a year and because on notification of
an invalid key I purchased XP Pro SP-2.

Spent 3+ hours with tech support (from India I believe) on how to change my
Product KEy and they were not able to help me. They told me that MS would be
coming up with an upadate.????????

Reviewed previous submittal "How to Perform a Win XP repair Install" by
Michael Stevens and my questions are;
Will there be an update?
Does M. Stevens fix solve my problem?

Ray Marchand

Using your new Windows XP CD and Product Key, perform a "repair install" as
outlined in Michael Steven's web site.

I have no knowledge of any sort of "update" that the tech support people may
have mentioned to you.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"raypm" wrote:

> Installed XP Pro worked fine for over a year and because on notification of
> an invalid key I purchased XP Pro SP-2.
>
> Spent 3+ hours with tech support (from India I believe) on how to change my
> Product KEy and they were not able to help me. They told me that MS would be
> coming up with an upadate.????????
>
> Reviewed previous submittal "How to Perform a Win XP repair Install" by
> Michael Stevens and my questions are;
> Will there be an update?
> Does M. Stevens fix solve my problem?
>
> Ray Marchand

You can tell if a Repair Install (like the instructions that Michael
mentions) will work by booting the computer with the new XP Pro CD. The
first screen it stops at will ask if you want to Install Windows or run the
Recovery Console. At this screen select the option to Install Windows by
pressing Enter. The next screen has the License Agreement. You press F8 to
accept it. Now the XP installer will search for a version of Windows on the
system. If it finds one you will be given a screen asking if you want to
attempt to repair the current install. At this point press "r" - just as in
the example here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/02_repair.jpg Setup
will proceed and you will eventually have to enter your new legitimate key.

However if you do not see this screen then you will not be able to preform
the Repair Install. You options will be to press F3 to quit or perform a
fresh install of XP. The fresh or clean install will wipe out all current
data on the drive. A Repair Install will retain all settings and installed
applications and data. Only System Restore Points and currently installed
Critical Updates will be removed. You will need to revisit the Windows
Update site to install the new critical updates.

Always backup important data that you can't afford to lose before you do any
significant work on your system.

--

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp