TECH: Bally Paragon Transformer Voltage Settings

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I bought a used transformer and rectifier board for my Bally Paragon
"project" machine.
The transformer is currently set for input = 115VAC. My house current
is a rather consistent 120VAC.
I would rather not change the tranformer jumpers (If it a'int broke
don't fix it).
My question is: Do I really need to change the transformer jumpers from
a 115volt setting to a 120volt.
This newbie thanks you in advance for the guidance.
Rick

No change needed- 115-125 vac input is fine for the "115 vac" transformer
setting. Line voltage normally varies depending on where you live- can be
anything from 110-125vac and still be safe.

I believe they only have three settings/configurations available on these
units- "115 vac", low line (105vac) and European "230 vac".

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Rick" <rblethen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a used transformer and rectifier board for my Bally Paragon
> "project" machine.
> The transformer is currently set for input = 115VAC. My house current
> is a rather consistent 120VAC.
> I would rather not change the tranformer jumpers (If it a'int broke
> don't fix it).
> My question is: Do I really need to change the transformer jumpers from
> a 115volt setting to a 120volt.
> This newbie thanks you in advance for the guidance.
> Rick

Ray i wish you were right!
But the guy that posted is right. Bally lists both 115 and 120
volt selections.

I just converted a Fathom for a guy, and this puzzled me too.
Do i convert it to 120 or 115 volts? around here voltages
seem to be 120 volts, so i converted to 120. My thinking was
this... if i convert it to 115 volts, the +5 and +170 volt
will be fine as they are regulated. But what about the 6 volt
GI and CPU lights? they will burn a little brigher and hotter
if the game is set to 115 instead of 120. So i went with the
120 volt conversion, figuring it would save light bulbs and
maybe connectors too. But i don't know if i choose right!

Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
> No change needed- 115-125 vac input is fine for the "115 vac" transformer
> setting. Line voltage normally varies depending on where you live- can be
> anything from 110-125vac and still be safe.
>
> I believe they only have three settings/configurations available on these
> units- "115 vac", low line (105vac) and European "230 vac".
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
>

> "Rick" <rblethen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I bought a used transformer and rectifier board for my Bally Paragon
> > "project" machine.
> > The transformer is currently set for input = 115VAC. My house current
> > is a rather consistent 120VAC.
> > I would rather not change the tranformer jumpers (If it a'int broke
> > don't fix it).
> > My question is: Do I really need to change the transformer jumpers from
> > a 115volt setting to a 120volt.
> > This newbie thanks you in advance for the guidance.
> > Rick

But Ray, did i choose wisely? which would you do, 115 or 120?

cfh@provide.net wrote:
> Ray i wish you were right!
> But the guy that posted is right. Bally lists both 115 and 120
> volt selections.
>
> I just converted a Fathom for a guy, and this puzzled me too.
> Do i convert it to 120 or 115 volts? around here voltages
> seem to be 120 volts, so i converted to 120. My thinking was
> this... if i convert it to 115 volts, the +5 and +170 volt
> will be fine as they are regulated. But what about the 6 volt
> GI and CPU lights? they will burn a little brigher and hotter
> if the game is set to 115 instead of 120. So i went with the
> 120 volt conversion, figuring it would save light bulbs and
> maybe connectors too. But i don't know if i choose right!
>
> Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
> > No change needed- 115-125 vac input is fine for the "115 vac" transformer
> > setting. Line voltage normally varies depending on where you live- can be
> > anything from 110-125vac and still be safe.
> >
> > I believe they only have three settings/configurations available on these
> > units- "115 vac", low line (105vac) and European "230 vac".
> >
> > Ray J.
> > --
> > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> > Web: www.actionpinball.com
> >
> > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
> >

> > "Rick" <rblethen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I bought a used transformer and rectifier board for my Bally Paragon
> > > "project" machine.
> > > The transformer is currently set for input = 115VAC. My house current
> > > is a rather consistent 120VAC.
> > > I would rather not change the tranformer jumpers (If it a'int broke
> > > don't fix it).
> > > My question is: Do I really need to change the transformer jumpers from
> > > a 115volt setting to a 120volt.
> > > This newbie thanks you in advance for the guidance.
> > > Rick

Cool- thanks for the info- saves me a trip to the file cabinet to check! :)

Ray J.