My P III 800 is not accepting 133Mhz

tansut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
Hi for everyone,

Currently I'm facing with an interesting problem with my CPU. I'm having these components, which is related with the problem:

CPU : P III 800 EB (133/6x)
Mainboard : Asus Cusl2-C BIOS 1014

I'm using this CPU approximately 2.5 years. Two weeks ago, suddenly my computer started to recognize my CPU as PIII 400 duringthe POST. My first action was to control CPU on another board (Intel) It was worked properly at that time. So, I sent my motherboard to distributor to receive my 3 yrs warranty benefit, however, answer was shocked me: There is no problem at your motherboard!Then I checked my CPU on several systems and I understood that only in intel boards (I815EP) it is working with 133Mhz FSB. At the rest (Also I815EP), it works in 66Mhz (As PIII 400 !!) and 100Mhz (as PIII 600) When I attempt to work on 133Mhz, POST is failing.

I'm living in Turkey and our CPU retailer is giving guarantee only for one year. Infact, it is three years in US. Also they stated that they did not noticed a mulfunction like this before.

Also please note that there was no attempt as overclocking for this CPU

In this viewpoint, I'll be waiting for your kind recommendations:

1) Shall I insist on warranty issue? since this problem is very clear that coming from manufacturer.

2) 2'nd hand CPU's are mad expensive (PIII 800 worth to 80 USD) Shall I use this CPU as PIII 600 till the next system update? Shall I expect noticable performance drop with this?

Thank you in advance for your comments on this issue.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Open the case and take a good hard look at the board...

look at all of the capacators...if they are leaking or bloated then they could be the problem...

Look at the choaks...(life saver with wire wraped around it)...if it seems burnt or in any way damaged this could be the cause of your problem...

Also you are POSITIVE you did not change any of the boards configuration...normally something like this occures when the mobo deames that a certain component can not run up to spec at stock speeds so it drops the speed to the lowest level possible...ie 66mhz bus...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

tansut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
As you noticed, my board is opening at 66 Mhz FSB. Thats why it is opening as PIII 400Mhz. I put the blame on the board but there is no doubt about that the problematic component is CPU. Also I already try every possibilities on the board.
Could you please tell me, whether I continue to to use that CPU as PIII 600?. What will be the difference?

Thank you.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it is probably not a cpu...i have never heard of one failing under normal conditions...

What voltage is the cpu running at...and have you checked the cappacitors...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds like either your CPU cooling is no longer up to scratch (i.e. HSF is clogged of the fan on it no longer spins) or your Power Supply is failing.

Look inside your 'pooter when it's running and see if the CPU Fan appears to be struggling. If it is, that may be your problem....

failing that, see if you can borrow a power supply off someone, or even better would be to stick your CPU in a friends' (working!) system, and see if it's happy.

Also, try swapping your Ram out with some working stuff - it might be the RAM that can't cope with the higher FSB.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
pIII's have no heat issues...even if the heatsink is barely touching the core...the cpu should be fine...pIII run very cold...so the thing would at least post even if it has a half dollar as a heatsink...

Could be powersupply...but i am thinking blown caps...this is another classic example...

other examples would be

i can run a celeron but not a pentium...that would be caps...
I cannot overclock as far anymore...caps

i cannot run my cpu at stock speeds but at a lesser fsb...caps...

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Nope. One year is one year. After that its fair game. You got wear and tear to which either the mobo or ram can no longer to 133. Only thig to try is to flash the CMOS. Your mobo is not totally in control of your clock speed but also your ram's max capability. If worn out, the bios will drop the clock speeds to wat it can handle. Really something like this needs a replace of cpu, mb, and ram.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

tansut

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
My motherboard has been checked by the official supplier and I know that they succesfully install PIII 1000 Mhz, PIII 933 etc...

The point is, CPU is having same behaviour at the other motherboards (via, I815EP), instead intel made (but not so stable) !!!.

All the possible other mulfunctions have been tested, RAM PS etc.

I think I find one odd CPU out of 100,000 production.

Anyway, just let me know, what will happen if I use this silly thing as PIII 600 at 100Mhz FSB? What percentage of downgrade form my performance would occur?

Do you have any idea?