amdchooser1

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
this mite be a bit early, but it seems like everyones has changed their oppion on how the a64 will perform.
i remmeber alot of you saying amd's too late. the clocks too low. amd will never catch up. and prescott is just gonna barry amd more. 64bit cpu will perform not so good in 32 bit.amd playing catch up. "Its Too Late"(many have chanted) for Amd yadda yadda yadda.

Intel will definently have competition from AMD, maybe more then it will bargain for.

Alot of these doubters really want amd to fail dont they, why do i see more people guessing how sucky its gonna be, while i barely see anyone guessing how good it mite be?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
well of course its all speculation

we will never know until the chips and better chipsets for them are released. we just like to talk about how things "seem" now.. we know things can always change

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I don't want AMD to fail, but there has to be a concrete/rational reason for choosing AMD over Intel.

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Alot of these doubters really want amd to fail dont they, why do i see more people guessing how sucky its gonna be, while i barely see anyone guessing how good it mite be?
Well...
<b>a)</b>I <i>am</i> one of 'these doubters'.. and I <i>really</i> don't want AMD to fail..
<b>b)</b>A64 is basically the same as Opteron - <i>that</i> is why people are guessing how sucky it will be. The only real unknown ATM is prescott, and Intel are hardly going to release something slower than current P4s - which can compete with Opteron anyway.... So it doesn't look good for AMD.

I do hope I'm wrong, but I don't see AMD being a player in the high-end market for a good long while...

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Something can't suck and be good at the same time. It's one or the other. I think the overall opinion, which is based on the Opteron, early benchmarks, and AMD's own roadmap is that Hammer is a dissappoinment if nothing else. I've never owned Intel stuff, but my next system will probably be a Pentium.

Get your own sig!!! :tongue:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No offense, but your logic ... isn't.

Just because someone makes educated speculation based on facts does not mean that they want anyone to fail.

For example: If I see the stock market taking a nose dive for five days straight, it's a pretty safe speculation to make that it'll dive on the sixth day too. I wouldn't make such a speculation because I <i>want</i> it to happen, but because that's simply the best educated guess.

Now back to AMD. No, we haven't seen actual A64 benchmarks yet. However, we <i>have</i> seen Opteron benchmarks. Opteron, being the <i>high end</i> and <i>professional</i> chip from the same basic core as the A64, should be performing the same <i>or better</i> than A64. It would be <i>highly</i> unlikely that the A64 would perform better than it's Opteron counterpart. (Especially when we know for a fact that in this case the A64 will primarly come in a single-channel memory version.)

So we've <i>seen</i> how a chip that is <i>better</i> than the A64 performs compared to a <i>Northwood</i>. Based on that, it's an obvious speculation to make that the absolute best that the A64 can do is to match the Opteron. And since Intel hasn't yet released a P4 revision that is slower than the previous models, it's also pretty safe speculation that Scotty is going to outperform Northy.

Hence the many people speculating that Scotty will outperform A64.

It has nothing to do with anyone's desire to see AMD fail. Most don't want that to happen. What it <i>does</i> have to do with is simple logic. It's just an educated observation.

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
looking at amd from a buisness perspective, how long can AMD last? AMD has never posted a profit, they lose money. Unless they manage to increase their earnings and make money, their eps is -4.05 they will eventually fail.
I don't mean to sound like I want this to happen, having competition forces intel to lower prices and put out new and better products, but AMD needs to do somthing fast to stay in the market. I just don't see it being the A64

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If they do go down, chances are excellent that someone will buy them, so it's likely they'll survive in one form or another.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Besides, Intel is certainly taking their sweet time offering upgrades lately. Why? Because AMD <i>isn't</i> competing with them anymore. AMD might have been good for competition in the past, but what are they doing for it <i>now</i>?

<font color=purple><pre><A HREF="http://www.winamp.com" target="_new">Winamp<b><font color=blue>3</font color=blue></b></A> and freeform skins, the best thing since sliced llama loaf. (Now with more beef.)</pre><p></font color=purple>

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
thee is one factor that people here tend 2 forget

clock speed

the hammer ramps like a banshee with more MHZ.... 200 extra MHZ does alot more for AMD than it does INTEL.. if the A64 lands at 2.4 GHZ Intel will have a hard time competing ... even with Prescott.

that bein said and with all the issues INTEL is having with .09 process.... using the same logic everyone in this thread is using... will prescott even be released any time soon?

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
you did see the review of the 2.2 ghz opteron... it beat the p4 3.2 soundly.

a 2.4 ghz A64 will do what? not compete? that makes no sense

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
<<AMD might have been good for competition in the past, but what are they doing for it now?
>>>

well a 2.2 GHZ Hammer beats the p4 3.2 ghz soundly

a 2.4 GHZ HAmmer would do what?

prescott will not be released this year....

window for amd

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
thee is one factor that people here tend 2 forget

clock speed

the hammer ramps like a banshee with more MHZ.... 200 extra MHZ does alot more for AMD than it does INTEL.. if the A64 lands at 2.4 GHZ Intel will have a hard time competing ... even with Prescott.
Except that there is no such thing as a 2.4GHz A64. If Opteron isn't even officially released at this speed yet then what makes you think that A64 will be? We could speculate about CPU overclocking all day, but in the end that has nothing to do with any of this.

that bein said and with all the issues INTEL is having with .09 process.... using the same logic everyone in this thread is using... will prescott even be released any time soon?
Intel themselves have said yes. And even at 100W, the first Scotties are not only well within the required specs of Scotty mobos, but they're even still within specs of a lot of currently available Canterwood and Springdale mobos. They're also within specs of currently available heatsinks and within specs of even the Intel retail HSF. (And there are <i>plenty</i> of better HSFs than the Intel retail.)

There is absolutely no reason why Scotty would be delayed. And even <i>if</i> it was (which it won't be) the P4 3.2GHz still kicks the pants off of both the AXP3200 and the Opteron 144. So Scotty isn't even needed for A64's initial launch to be sad.

you did see the review of the 2.2 ghz opteron... it beat the p4 3.2 soundly.

a 2.4 ghz A64 will do what? not compete? that makes no sense
How nice of you to mention completely nonexisting products. Yes, let us bring up overclocks while we're at it because that just makes so much sense. So while you're at it, why not compare to a 3.6GHz Northwood?

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I read about half of your post before I became irritated by the poor grammar and spelling. Also, a little punctuation would make it easier to read.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
How nice of you to mention completely nonexisting products. Yes, let us bring up overclocks while we're at it because that just makes so much sense. So while you're at it, why not compare to a 3.6GHz Northwood?
Now that we're on the realm of nonexisting products, just remember that Scotty is supposed to have 15-20% higher IPC than NW... That means that the 3.4Ghz Scotty will offer the performance equivalent of a <b>4Ghz</b> Northwood...

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

amdchooser1

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003

Just because someone makes educated speculation based on facts does not mean that they want anyone to fail.

For example: If I see the stock market taking a nose dive for five days straight, it's a pretty safe speculation to make that it'll dive on the sixth day too. I wouldn't make such a speculation because I want it to happen, but because that's simply the best educated guess.

Now back to AMD. No, we haven't seen actual A64 benchmarks yet. However, we have seen Opteron benchmarks. Opteron, being the high end and professional chip from the same basic core as the A64, should be performing the same or better than A64. It would be highly unlikely that the A64 would perform better than it's Opteron counterpart. <b>(Especially when we know for a fact that in this case the A64 will primarly come in a single-channel memory version.)</b>

So we've seen how a chip that is better than the A64 performs compared to a Northwood. Based on that, it's an obvious speculation to make that the absolute best that the A64 can do is to match the Opteron. And since Intel hasn't yet released a P4 revision that is slower than the previous models, it's also pretty safe speculation that Scotty is going to outperform Northy.

Hence the many people speculating that Scotty will outperform A64.

It has nothing to do with anyone's desire to see AMD fail. Most don't want that to happen. What it does have to do with is simple logic. It's just an educated observation.
the 940pin A64 and the 939pin A64 will have dual channel. only the 754pin A64 won't have dual channel.

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
"A64 is basically the same as Opteron - that is why people are guessing how sucky it will be"

should be;

"A64 is basically the same as Opteron - that is why people are guessing how good it will be" - 2.2ghz opteron nailed a 3.2ghz P4.

"Intel are hardly going to release something slower than current P4s " Ha Ha Ha Ha, remember first P4s? that was so disappointing, but that was because the pipeline was lengthened so much, but i suppose prescott wont have longer pipeline - hold on a second it WILL have a longer pipeline.

having said that prescott will obviously be very fast - just pointing the irony out.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

TknD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just because someone makes <b>educated speculation</b> based on facts does not mean that they want anyone to fail.
To me, "educated speculation" is somewhat contradictory.

In my view, educated, or education--referring to a university, is the teaching of facts that have been studied and proven through research of primary sources, <i>not</i> secondary sources.

For the most part, the information speculated on in these forums comes from <b>secondary media sources</b>.

Keep in mind that if you consider Intel or AMD a primary source, they are still a company in a capilistic scheme. Making their product "hype" bigger by releasing non-finalized specifications, translates into marketing or an attempt to sell their product.

So in your own words:

Perhaps if you replaced "educated speculation" with "educated guess" you would be more correct.

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i was referring to the amdzone article, which i assume is reasonably accurate because
1) Athlon XP is also nailed by the opteron and the P4
2) If these results were exagerated amdzone would instantly become the laughing stock of the internet community, and soon it will be obvious if they were exagerated.

anyway we'll find out soon enough

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
the 940pin A64 and the 939pin A64 will have dual channel. only the 754pin A64 won't have dual channel.
And the Winner is A64 Dual Channel. But you seem to be forgetting that these Dual Channel products will not be shipping till end of the year or beginning of next year. And everyone probably agrees that A64 Single Channel is no match for P4C.

And by the time the Dual Channel will be available we will see Prescott, which will give a real challenge to A64 Dual Channel.

KG

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." - Sarah Chambers

TRENDING THREADS