VIDEO DRIVER UPGRADES AND DRIVER ROLL-BACK UNDER XP

I was curious about something that seems to be implied by using Windows XP.
In most systems I've worked with you usually deleted the old drivers before
you upgraded to the new ones, especially video drivers. It seems implied
that under the Windows XP OS, you don't have to do this because you have the
possibility of doing a driver 'roll-back' if things don't work out the way
you thought they would. I ask this because I'm thinking about updating the
video drivers to my ATI video card on my 8300 and wanted to know if I had to
first delete the old drivers before downloading and installing the new ones.

Chopperdad,
I believe ATI recommends uninstalling the previous drivers before installing
the new ones. And, IIRC, XP will "remember" the previous driver for
rollback anyway even if it has been uninstalled.

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_412_release_notes.html

-Tmax60

"Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
:I was curious about something that seems to be implied by using Windows XP.
: In most systems I've worked with you usually deleted the old drivers
before
: you upgraded to the new ones, especially video drivers. It seems implied
: that under the Windows XP OS, you don't have to do this because you have
the
: possibility of doing a driver 'roll-back' if things don't work out the way
: you thought they would. I ask this because I'm thinking about updating
the
: video drivers to my ATI video card on my 8300 and wanted to know if I had
: first delete the old drivers before downloading and installing the new
ones.
:
: