Help please! Straightening bent plastics...

I just recv'd my NOS set of TOM plastics. Unfortunately, whoever
packed them put them into a cardboard box that was too small which
required the long ones to be bent. They now resemble large colorful
dip chips. The small ones are fine.

I've done a search here and have seen some suggestions. I'm looking
for any additional input. The ones that are bent might be bit too
large to try in the oven. I'm considering using two playfield glasses
and the sun...but I'm worried because it is REALLY hot here right now.
Like 108* during the day. Should I wait until it is a bit cooler? If
I do this outside, how long should it take? Do I need to really keep a
close eye on them, just like when you use the oven?

I'm just worried because a NOS TOM full plastics set is rather pricey.
I'd really be upset if I ruined them.

Randy ... why not have the supplier replace the package? Afterall, it's
their packing that created the issue, not your issue to resolve. I guess if
one you purchased this from this was their only set then it's a bit more of
a problem.

"Randy S." <teromil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just recv'd my NOS set of TOM plastics. Unfortunately, whoever
> packed them put them into a cardboard box that was too small which
> required the long ones to be bent. They now resemble large colorful
> dip chips. The small ones are fine.
>
> I've done a search here and have seen some suggestions. I'm looking
> for any additional input. The ones that are bent might be bit too
> large to try in the oven. I'm considering using two playfield glasses
> and the sun...but I'm worried because it is REALLY hot here right now.
> Like 108* during the day. Should I wait until it is a bit cooler? If
> I do this outside, how long should it take? Do I need to really keep a
> close eye on them, just like when you use the oven?
>
> I'm just worried because a NOS TOM full plastics set is rather pricey.
> I'd really be upset if I ruined them.

Mike Russell put some in our oven when we were working on a flash you
can see the pics on my website. All I kept thinking about were
"shrinky dinks" back in the 80s and that they were gonna shrivel up,
but they didnt they became staight as can be it worked great. I do
remember him putting a cookie sheet and another sheet on top of the
plastics ....I can not remember the oven temperature either.
Mike you reading this?
www.timsarcade.net
Tim

I placed my Blackout plastics in the oven at about 350 degrees and they
flattened out perfectly. The trick is to WATCH THEM THE ENTIRE TIME.
Gravity will flatten the warps so no need to place anything on top of
them. Once flat, remove and let cool at room temperature. Also, you
should clean them before you do this so there's no caked in dirt
afterwards.

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk!

PS: I advise against the Sun method as it may fade the colors.

I use a hair dryer. Just aim the hair dryer at the plastic for a couple
minutes until it heats and you feel the plastic softening, set a book on it
or just bend as necessary........gently. Oven is ok....if you know what you
are doing. I never tried it.

Pingeek
http://www.pingeek.com pinball dvds for sale
See you at the P3 tournament!

"Randy S." <teromil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just recv'd my NOS set of TOM plastics. Unfortunately, whoever
> packed them put them into a cardboard box that was too small which
> required the long ones to be bent. They now resemble large colorful
> dip chips. The small ones are fine.
>
> I've done a search here and have seen some suggestions. I'm looking
> for any additional input. The ones that are bent might be bit too
> large to try in the oven. I'm considering using two playfield glasses
> and the sun...but I'm worried because it is REALLY hot here right now.
> Like 108* during the day. Should I wait until it is a bit cooler? If
> I do this outside, how long should it take? Do I need to really keep a
> close eye on them, just like when you use the oven?
>
> I'm just worried because a NOS TOM full plastics set is rather pricey.
> I'd really be upset if I ruined them.

Put them in the oven at 200 degrees (that's the lowest setting on my
gas oven). Don't even think about walking away from the oven while
they're in there. Should be about 4-5 minutes, tops. Make sure the
surface you place them on has no texture. You may want to place them
between glass as they cool - playfield glass works well for this. This
will prevent any curling as they cool.

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

I put my last problem plastics between glass and in the sun but it was only
in the 80's.

I did leave them out all afternoon, unattended.

Flat as a pancake.

Otto

CARGPB11

"Randy S." <teromil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just recv'd my NOS set of TOM plastics. Unfortunately, whoever
> packed them put them into a cardboard box that was too small which
> required the long ones to be bent. They now resemble large colorful
> dip chips. The small ones are fine.
>
> I've done a search here and have seen some suggestions. I'm looking
> for any additional input. The ones that are bent might be bit too
> large to try in the oven. I'm considering using two playfield glasses
> and the sun...but I'm worried because it is REALLY hot here right now.
> Like 108* during the day. Should I wait until it is a bit cooler? If
> I do this outside, how long should it take? Do I need to really keep a
> close eye on them, just like when you use the oven?
>
> I'm just worried because a NOS TOM full plastics set is rather pricey.
> I'd really be upset if I ruined them.

I place the plastics on a flat cookie sheet and heat them up one at a
time with a heat gun until they flatten. then I carefully slide them
off to the top of my glass top stove which is quite smooth. then I
grab some old Calculus and Chemistry books to keep them flat while
they are cooling. never had any problems and they always come out
flat.

stevebo

On 15 Jul 2005 17:33:37 -0700, "Randy S." <teromil@comcast.net> wrote:

>I just recv'd my NOS set of TOM plastics. Unfortunately, whoever
>packed them put them into a cardboard box that was too small which
>required the long ones to be bent. They now resemble large colorful
>dip chips. The small ones are fine.
>
>I've done a search here and have seen some suggestions. I'm looking
>for any additional input. The ones that are bent might be bit too
>large to try in the oven. I'm considering using two playfield glasses
>and the sun...but I'm worried because it is REALLY hot here right now.
>Like 108* during the day. Should I wait until it is a bit cooler? If
>I do this outside, how long should it take? Do I need to really keep a
>close eye on them, just like when you use the oven?
>
>I'm just worried because a NOS TOM full plastics set is rather pricey.
>I'd really be upset if I ruined them.

Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't get a chance to work on them
this weekend, but I'll post how they turn out.