i have a small program that i have unzipped into it's separate files. i
tried to run the exe. file and i got a message saying cannot write to disk
(disk full?).the disk is definitely not full (53 gb free). does anyone know
what can be the problem and how to solve it?

thanks

paul

"paul bennett" <aunu27@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>i have a small program that i have unzipped into it's separate files. i
>tried to run the exe. file and i got a message saying cannot write to disk
>(disk full?).the disk is definitely not full (53 gb free). does anyone know
>what can be the problem and how to solve it?
>
> thanks
>
> paul

And is this a program that you wrote is or proprietary for only your use?
Or is it perhaps a program provided by someone else that other people than
you might use? If the latter scenario, you are hiding the identity of this
program why?

Some old games and DOS apps don't know how to handle large drives. They
compute the amount of free space but the length of the integer in which they
store that value is too short which causes truncation or wrap-around (i.e.,
modulus arithmetic). The result can be that, for example, a drive with 40.1
GB of free disk space only looks like it has 0.1 GB of free space because
the program's buffer is too small and effect 2 GB modulo arithmetic. The
program thinks there is only 0.1 GB of free space. You end up having to
delete files out of the temp folders to see if you can get under the 2 GB
modulo boundary, like under 40 GB in this example, so you drop down into the
next 2 GB range and might look like you have enough to the program.
Alternatively, you may need to add more files to your temp folders to
consume more disk space to move past the next 2 GB boundary.

We don't know WHAT is the program that you having problems with because you
never identified it. I ran into a similar problem with the old Thief 1 & 2
games which were not programmed to handle partitions larger than 2 GB. So
you have to remove or add enough temp files so its 2 GB modulo arithmetic
(caused by truncation in their overly short variable) would move far enough
away from a 2 GB boundary to make it think there was lots of free space.

E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

Gordon

"paul bennett" <aunu27@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> i have a small program that i have unzipped into it's separate
> files. i tried to run the exe. file and i got a message saying cannot
> write to disk (disk full?).the disk is definitely not full (53 gb
> free). does anyone know what can be the problem and how to solve it?
>
> thanks
>
> paul

Try emptying your Temp and Temp Internet folders.....

i tried emptying the temp file folder but it's not solved it. any more
ideas?