I've read here that IIS cannot be installed on XP Home Edition, so OK to
that. But is there some other (Free?) non-Windows utility that I can install
on my XP operating system that will do the same thing for me?
--
Regards
Ian

I'm running apache right now on XP ( http://texeme.com runs on my
workstation ).

It's fast and easy to install from http://apache.org and one of the most
powerful web servers in the world.

IanL64 wrote:
> I've read here that IIS cannot be installed on XP Home Edition, so OK to
> that. But is there some other (Free?) non-Windows utility that I can install
> on my XP operating system that will do the same thing for me?

Apache
http://httpd.apache.org/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"IanL64" wrote:

| I've read here that IIS cannot be installed on XP Home Edition, so OK to
| that. But is there some other (Free?) non-Windows utility that I can install
| on my XP operating system that will do the same thing for me?
| --
| Regards
| Ian

Hi Ian

Try Apache - http://www.apache.org/

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"IanL64" <IanL64@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've read here that IIS cannot be installed on XP Home Edition, so OK to
> that. But is there some other (Free?) non-Windows utility that I can
> install
> on my XP operating system that will do the same thing for me?
> --
> Regards
> Ian

Will this work on Windows XP Home, and are there any limitations to where I
can publish my completed web site?
Regards
Ian

> Will this work on Windows XP Home, and are there any limitations to where
> can publish my completed web site?

Do you want to run a web server or design a web site?

Kerry

I wanted to design and test the site on my pc and then export it to my web
server
--
Regards
Ian

IanL64 wrote:
> Will this work on Windows XP Home,

Yes, I run it on XP home.

and are there any limitations to where I
> can publish my completed web site?

No. There is a configuration file where you can set up one, or many
websites at different locations around your hard disks.

Apache management is very powerful, very flexible, but requires a some
learning...still, you can always deploy it in the basic format and just
add files to the default root directory very easily.

It will run in your tray, where you can start/stop configure the basics
very easily. The httpd.conf file is the Big Banana of configuration
and as I said, highly configurable.

>I wanted to design and test the site on my pc and then export it to my web
> server

That takes two different programs. Apache is an excellent server. What are
using to design the site?

Kerry

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Thursday 25 August 2005 07:16 am, John Bailo had
this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> I'm running apache right now on XP ( http://texeme.com runs on my
> workstation ).

You don't seriously call that a web site do you?

> It's fast and easy to install from http://apache.org and one of the most
> powerful web servers in the world.

Agreed

> IanL64 wrote:
>> I've read here that IIS cannot be installed on XP Home Edition, so OK to
>> that. But is there some other (Free?) non-Windows utility that I can
>> install on my XP operating system that will do the same thing for me?

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

I was trailing a copy macromedia but I found out you need IIS to be able to
view any of the web pages, that's when I found you cannot install it on XP
Home Edition.
I don't mind using some other program to design it but I am no programmer
and I want something that I can drag and drop items from my access database
rather that writing script.
--
Regards
Ian

>I was trailing a copy macromedia but I found out you need IIS to be able to
> view any of the web pages, that's when I found you cannot install it on XP
> Home Edition.
> I don't mind using some other program to design it but I am no programmer
> and I want something that I can drag and drop items from my access
> database
> rather that writing script.

Macromedia is good. I'll probably get flamed for this but if you are
dragging and dropping from Access you might want to check out Front Page.

Kerry