presario 1230NX and Zip drive help needed

SL

Hello all,

I just helped my friend boot up her new compaq. All was well except she was
unable to hook up to her MSN account and the Zip Drive/printer. The printer
was a slave off the zip drive. The net problem was a MSN error and
resolved. But the zip drive/printer problem was not. I have not dug deep
into the problem yet, but will tommorrow. I build my own pc's all the time,
but have not had a zip drive.

As the pc when started could not download the driver for the HP 1115
printer, it did not load. But, I did not see any reference to the zip
drive. Is this to be expected until a driver is located for the zip? It
appears to be functional (for a zip drive that is) and the printer did try
to see WinXP Home. I would think that a zip drive would be easily
identified by XP. No?

What is a next good move. I did just discover that the HP driver disk is
found and the pc is now online. Unfortunately, its 56k only. So downloads
are to be quite slow if necessary.

thanks all,
SL

Parallel port ZIP drives have always been a three-humped camel in the computer
industry, even when they were somewhat popular. The original Centronics
parallel port was intended for connecting a single device, and the personal
computer industry messed around with parallel to get it to do unnatural things
like daisy chaining two devices on a parallel port.

Microsoft undoubtedly dropped support for them with XP, in an initial move to
make parallel port devices obsolete. If any drivers for a parallel port ZIP
drive are available, they would be on the Iomega web site.

If the Iomega web site does not pan out, your friend would be better off
replacing the parallel port ZIP drive with a USB or a SCSI ZIP drive. USB
drives are far more popular and easier to install than SCSI ones.

If you connect up the HP printer directly to the parallel port, it is likely to
work properly... Ben Myers

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:22:37 -0500, "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I just helped my friend boot up her new compaq. All was well except she was
>unable to hook up to her MSN account and the Zip Drive/printer. The printer
>was a slave off the zip drive. The net problem was a MSN error and
>resolved. But the zip drive/printer problem was not. I have not dug deep
>into the problem yet, but will tommorrow. I build my own pc's all the time,
>but have not had a zip drive.
>
>As the pc when started could not download the driver for the HP 1115
>printer, it did not load. But, I did not see any reference to the zip
>drive. Is this to be expected until a driver is located for the zip? It
>appears to be functional (for a zip drive that is) and the printer did try
>to see WinXP Home. I would think that a zip drive would be easily
>identified by XP. No?
>
>What is a next good move. I did just discover that the HP driver disk is
>found and the pc is now online. Unfortunately, its 56k only. So downloads
>are to be quite slow if necessary.
>
>thanks all,
>SL

SL

I appreciate the reply ben. However, this girl is not in the mood to invest
in the effort. As soon as the suggestion is mentioned, she cringes.

She will let me bring it to my house and put it on my dual boot 98/xp
machine and burn to CD-R. It is much simpler for her and easier on my ear
she is screaming in. Once the stuff is converted, the iomega is nothing
more than a doorstop.

sl

> Parallel port ZIP drives have always been a three-humped camel in the
> computer
> industry, even when they were somewhat popular. The original Centronics
> parallel port was intended for connecting a single device, and the
> personal
> computer industry messed around with parallel to get it to do unnatural
> things
> like daisy chaining two devices on a parallel port.
>
> Microsoft undoubtedly dropped support for them with XP, in an initial move
> make parallel port devices obsolete. If any drivers for a parallel port
> ZIP
> drive are available, they would be on the Iomega web site.
>
> If the Iomega web site does not pan out, your friend would be better off
> replacing the parallel port ZIP drive with a USB or a SCSI ZIP drive. USB
> drives are far more popular and easier to install than SCSI ones.
>
> If you connect up the HP printer directly to the parallel port, it is
> likely to
> work properly... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:22:37 -0500, "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I just helped my friend boot up her new compaq. All was well except she
>>was
>>unable to hook up to her MSN account and the Zip Drive/printer. The
>>printer
>>was a slave off the zip drive. The net problem was a MSN error and
>>resolved. But the zip drive/printer problem was not. I have not dug deep
>>into the problem yet, but will tommorrow. I build my own pc's all the
>>time,
>>but have not had a zip drive.
>>
>>As the pc when started could not download the driver for the HP 1115
>>printer, it did not load. But, I did not see any reference to the zip
>>drive. Is this to be expected until a driver is located for the zip? It
>>appears to be functional (for a zip drive that is) and the printer did try
>>to see WinXP Home. I would think that a zip drive would be easily
>>identified by XP. No?
>>
>>What is a next good move. I did just discover that the HP driver disk is
>>found and the pc is now online. Unfortunately, its 56k only. So
>>downloads
>>are to be quite slow if necessary.
>>
>>thanks all,
>>SL

Agreed. Iomega ZIP drives really lost out to CD burners... Ben Myers