Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I placed an old DVD drive I had in a 4550 and it has never worked
right for playing movies. Apparently the old software decoder it
came with isn't compatible with XP and isn't readily updatable.

Can anyone recommend a software decoder, preferably free? Or
should I just buy a newer drive (do they still come with soft
decoders?).

thanks,
Dave

there is an update on the download page at support.dell.com for the
cyberlink softdvd software that came with your system. i think that the
download is actually the full application. have your tried this?

"Dave" <dm@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I placed an old DVD drive I had in a 4550 and it has never worked
> right for playing movies. Apparently the old software decoder it
> came with isn't compatible with XP and isn't readily updatable.
>
> Can anyone recommend a software decoder, preferably free? Or
> should I just buy a newer drive (do they still come with soft
> decoders?).
>
> thanks,
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <nYgyd.8059$EL5.3743@trndny09>, "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>there is an update on the download page at support.dell.com for the
>cyberlink softdvd software that came with your system. i think that the
>download is actually the full application. have your tried this?

Just tried it. No joy. Since I didn't get a DVD when I purchased
the system, and its an old non-Dell one, it won't let me install
the upgrade. Any other avenues?

Thanks for the response just the same.

understandably the dell software is set to work with just the drives that
dell sold... sometimes you get lucky with regard to compatibility but that
is just chance... your drive should have come with some sort of player, but
since you don't have the software consider these alternatives... but take
note that several of them are supported though advertisements (aka spyware)
so pay close attention to the license agreements.
http://www.download.com/Media-Players/3150-2139_4-0.html?tag=stbc.gp

Christopher Muto wrote:
> understandably the dell software is set to work with just the drives
that
> dell sold... sometimes you get lucky with regard to compatibility but
that
> is just chance... your drive should have come with some sort of
player, but
> since you don't have the software consider these alternatives... but
take
> note that several of them are supported though advertisements (aka
spyware)
> so pay close attention to the license agreements.
Well, if it helps any, Windows Media Player 9 and 10 will play DVD's.

Cyclops wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > understandably the dell software is set to work with just the
drives
> that
> > dell sold... sometimes you get lucky with regard to compatibility
but
> that
> > is just chance... your drive should have come with some sort of
> player, but
> > since you don't have the software consider these alternatives...
but
> take
> > note that several of them are supported though advertisements (aka
> spyware)
> > so pay close attention to the license agreements.
> Well, if it helps any, Windows Media Player 9 and 10 will play DVD's.

not out of the box they don't. once you install some dvd-playing
software (like WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc) it'll install the required DVD
playback codecs. Once these are on your system, you can then play DVDs
in any app, including Media Player. Media Player by itself won't play
DVD content out of the box.
To the OP, I'd recommend getting an OEM copy of WinDVD or similar, or
buying a commercial codec over the web.

Hi!

You could try the VideoLAN player. It's free and works in a pinch, though I
have noticed some minor audio issues with certain movies.

http://www.videolan.org/

William