Sign in with
Your question

Very odd problems in Windows 7.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 6, 2012 1:05:19 PM

Okay, I put this in the Win7 section because I didn't know where else to shove my problem... please move it to a better section if there is one. Sorry in advance :( 

Long story short...

I was having problems with my monitor not picking up my GPU (gtx 570) signal, displaying a "No Input Signal Detected. Change to 1920x1080 - 60Hz" message. So after a bit of trouble shooting I tried a different GPU (gtx 560 ti), which then worked briefly. So I restarted, it didn't work, I switched back to my 570, went into Safe Mode, uninstalled my drivers, rebooted normally, which worked and reinstalled the drivers. I had to "reset for the changes to take effect" and then failed again, displaying the same message. (In between the switching and going into Safe Mode, Safe Mode was rendered useless, and didn't load at all. The loading screen before Safe Mode which loads the drivers stopped at CLASSPNP.sys and hung there). Eventually, I retried with the gtx 560 ti and it then loaded normal windows fine. I reinstalled the drivers again and, you guessed it, it failed. But this time I didn't get the same message. Instead it actually just got stuck at the Windows splash screen ("Starting Windows"). The odd thing is that the windows logo animation is still actually moving, it's not frozen. Moreover, I could hear the chime of the login screen where I enter my password after the splash screen AND I can even type my password in and press enter, again hearing the login chime denoting a successful login. This is all with the splash screen displayed.

So that's the long story short. Inbetween stages there have been MANY hard reboots, as It's the only way for me to progress. Ideally I won't have to wipe the HDD as I have about 250GB of downloaded games which is about 4 days of solid downloading at Max download speed:D . However, if anyone has ANY help at all (Techsupportforums weren't helpful at all... I had 0 replies) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zod.

More about : odd problems windows

a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 1:28:46 PM

-enter BIOS setup, check for a setting to tell the hardware that you have a plug and play OS
- make a change in your BIOS to trigger a update of your DMI pool (internal list and config of your hardware) sometimes there will be a setting you can select, sometimes you just have to toggle some settings or update your BIOS to a current version
- boot windows in VGA mode (hit f8 during the boot process)
- use control panel to tell windows not to automatically install drivers
- remove/delete your graphics driver
- download current driver
- install current driver
- run device manager in Contol panel scan for new hardware devices and check for errors.
- re enable auto install of drivers in control panel
November 6, 2012 1:39:14 PM

I'd thumbs up johnbl, but it doesn't seem to save the vote... anybody (mods?) tell me why that is? And how come only some threads even have a thumbs up/down option?

I think if a component is dying, motherboard or PSU are probably the prime candidates. Seems unlikely both cards would become faulty at once. Hope you figure it out.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 1:39:35 PM

I would get a new HDD or SSD and start over. You can always migrate your files from the old drive later.
November 6, 2012 1:41:43 PM

I can't get any signal at all on my monitor, i.e. I can't get any display, not even BIOS. I could try the static release technique and then see what happens if I try your solution. I'm guessing it's a driver issue then? I will also find it hard to update my BIOS if I can't get past the start screen. Will removing my GPU and trying to run off the intel integrated graphics work?

EDIT: Sorry, yes I forgot the last part of the problem. Now I don't even get to the splash screen. I press the power button and my monitor doesn't even recognise my GPU's existance. The com powers up, fans whir etc. then it shuts down within about 10 secs, then it restarts within about 5 by itself, all the while without any display at all.

Sorry about that.
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 1:57:33 PM

Can you give us your COMPLETE system specs? make,model, etc? That will help us help you!
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 2:12:37 PM

- you will have to get into your BIOS, before you can even attempt to fix your driver problem
- be sure to power cycle your monitor and your CPU (in case your monitor goes to sleep due to lack of signal)
- force your hardware to update its DMI pool database. Try making a hardware change like moving a video card to a new slot to trigger your BIOS to detect the change and give you video, or reset your BIOS to defaults if you have a motherboard button for it.

- problem lies with the BIOS assuming it has control of the hardware bus configuration then later in the boot process control is handed to windows and it assumes it has the control of the bus configuration. Fine when they both guess the same interrupt defaults. when they don't match you get screwy results, VIDEO in while the hardware has control of configuration during the BIOS portion of the boot, then windows starts up and you have video up until the time the video driver loads then windows starts to look for video hardware on the wrong interrupt. Nice blank screen for you.

changes of hardware are not always detected correctly by the BIOS and Windows. It is best to always uninstall the video device before you put in a upgrade video. Especially if the new device is from the same OEM line.

EDIT:
- if your System is rebooting, look for a power issue:
Bad power connection to graphics card, brownout in your power supply (under powered power supply)
graphics card not in the correct slot, or not seated correctly

- After you get your video back you might be able to boot off a CD player onto a windows setup disk and do a startup repair
November 6, 2012 4:00:51 PM

Great info. My system specs are

Asus Sabertooth p67
GTX 570 msi overclock edition (no further ocing has been done)
i5 2500k
8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz
F3 spinpoint 1tb HDD

I'm at work atm, so i'm working from memory. I'll be able to reply again in a few hours.

TYVm for the info though.

Also, when i still had the splash screen issue, i did actully go into boot menu and booted from the windows disk, ran the repair and it went through the repair, saying that the problem should be solved. When i retried, I got the same screen, so the repair didn't work. bI do have access to my HDD from another com if this helps.
November 7, 2012 9:32:29 AM

UPDATE:

I managed to reset my BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and then reseating it. So i now have a display! But I haven't been able to find any way to get past the BIOS. In otherwords, the BIOS is the only thing I can use. Within the BIOS I have tried resetting DMI, finding plug and plug and disabling other devices, but I can't find anything. There seems to be no mention of DMI. Moreover, my BIOS is a fancy one, so it isn't as universal as most others so google searching my problem gets tiresome. I just tried to reenter Safe Mode, but am still stuck at CLASSPNP.sys. There are a few solutions, but they all require access to the normal desktop. I have tried putting the windows disk in, and setting the dvd drive with boot priority, but it just seems to loads up normally as if the HDD was the first boot device.

After I got my screen to work again, I fiddled around and eventually tried a different GPU (Winfast PX 7950). The screen went back to being unresponsive, so I think this has something to do with the problem. I reseated the battery again, so the monitor restarted. So now i'm back where I was.

This problem is really confusing me. It seems that there isn't anyone else who's had this problem, or at least there aren't any search results on the various search engines.
November 7, 2012 12:56:48 PM

REUPDATE:

Ok, so I'm onto my normal desktop. I've done ask you asked johnbl and it worked a dream. I did a system restore to an earlier point, and the system works. BUT when i try to open SW: The Old Republic I get the "Input Signal Out of Range" message again. This is after re-installing and redownloading the graphics cards and the relevant drivers. I have to do a hard reboot to get out of the message (No alt+TAB or ctrl+alt+del). Could it be something to do with the installation of swtor, whilst the drivers were screwing up? It was around the time they started.
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 1:48:16 PM

Zodeak said:
REUPDATE:

Ok, so I'm onto my normal desktop. I've done ask you asked johnbl and it worked a dream. I did a system restore to an earlier point, and the system works. BUT when i try to open SW: The Old Republic I get the "Input Signal Out of Range" message again. This is after re-installing and redownloading the graphics cards and the relevant drivers. I have to do a hard reboot to get out of the message (No alt+TAB or ctrl+alt+del). Could it be something to do with the installation of swtor, whilst the drivers were screwing up? It was around the time they started.

"Input Signal Out of Range" : Software requests a video setting that is passed thru the operating system to the hardware, the hardware returns a error to windows, and windows dumps that error to the current screen and cancels the requested change.

- generally you will want to force your software app to request a lower resolution to get it to run
- if windows has "found" your monitor and put its configure info in it will show up in device manager.
if the info is wrong, or there is nothing at all then you may have artificially constrained video resolutions. Try deleting the found monitor and looking for another monitor profile.

generally it is something simple like requesting a very high screen resolution without lowering the refresh rate so the monitor has time to actually update the display.

November 8, 2012 11:23:35 AM

johnbl said:
"Input Signal Out of Range" : Software requests a video setting that is passed thru the operating system to the hardware, the hardware returns a error to windows, and windows dumps that error to the current screen and cancels the requested change.

- generally you will want to force your software app to request a lower resolution to get it to run
- if windows has "found" your monitor and put its configure info in it will show up in device manager.
if the info is wrong, or there is nothing at all then you may have artificially constrained video resolutions. Try deleting the found monitor and looking for another monitor profile.

generally it is something simple like requesting a very high screen resolution without lowering the refresh rate so the monitor has time to actually update the display.

You're a saint. This should work. Interestingly, when I got my first windows recovery point, on my "Screen Resolution" window the monitor was actually recognised as the model (Compaq Q2159 - or something similar). Before, it had only been recognised as a "Generic PnP Monitor". So I'm guessing the whole problem was the windows update that changed my monitor's settings...
!