It seems to me that Explorer used to display the icon's image
for an icon (.ico) file. This was very useful when creating icons.
Is my memory correct?

I installed software that associates the .ico extension with a program
so now icon files display the program's icon. Undoing the association
didn't revert to the what I remember as the former behaviour. How do I
undo this?

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Type this command in Run:

cmd /c assoc .ico=icofile

Logoff/login back. If the problem is not fixed, download and apply the .ICO
association fix from

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org