.ico Icon Display

It seems to me that Explorer used to display the icon's image
for an icon (.ico) file. This was very useful when creating icons.
Is my memory correct?

I installed software that associates the .ico extension with a program
so now icon files display the program's icon. Undoing the association
didn't revert to the what I remember as the former behaviour. How do I
undo this?

Thanks,
Gary
1 answer Last reply
More about icon display

    Hi Gary,

    Type this command in Run:

    cmd /c assoc .ico=icofile

    Logoff/login back. If the problem is not fixed, download and apply the .ICO
    association fix from

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Gary Brown" <garyjbrown@charter.net> wrote in message
    > It seems to me that Explorer used to display the icon's image
    > for an icon (.ico) file. This was very useful when creating icons.
    > Is my memory correct?
    >
    > I installed software that associates the .ico extension with a program
    > so now icon files display the program's icon. Undoing the association
    > didn't revert to the what I remember as the former behaviour. How do I
    > undo this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary

Microsoft Explorer Windows XP Displays