MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
Ok, this is just an idea, but there are soooo many threads along the lines of, "is my cpu is too hot" etc.. so i thought we could do with a FAQ, this should help tonnes of people out and save a lot of time for people who respond.

what do you think?

reply with appropriate questions and answers and then it can be edited into a permanent faq.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MaximumGoat on 08/14/03 08:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Terrific idea, other boards have done it for their topics!
Trouble is someone is going to have to maintain it!

Nice idea too, to post benchmark ranges, temperature ranges, power comsumption, different models, some history.
Tons of stuff could be done.

Lots of Links !!!!!! :smile:

The loving are the daring!

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
look at my quote
|
|
V

it's too fast but it's too hot.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
yeah, all that stuff would be great, but its to much for one person, so if people just post a Q and A or some general info on a topic they know well then it could be concentrated into a really comprhensive faq.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
pentium 4 datasheet:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864310.pdf

(sorry, i cant make it clickable because its off their ftp server). table 5-1 on page 63 has their recommended max temps and power consumption. there are datasheets for all the intel processors on their ftp site. i'm sure with enough digging and member input, something can be put together, even if its just a chart on for people who arent overclocking.

jmecor, what did your post have to do with anything?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Boilermaker on 08/14/03 06:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
heres a list of questions i thought of;

1 my cpu isnt running at the correct speed, what is wrong?
2 how hot should my cpu be
3 what should I do if my cpu is overheating
4 is the stock heatsink good enough
5 How does a Pentium 4c differentiate from a Pentium 4 a and b
6 which are better AMD or Intel cpus (LOL good luck answering this)
7 what is hyperthreading
8 how does 64bit help/hinder over 32bit
9 what is cache/how does it help
10 what is the bus speed / fsb
11 what are northwood a/b/c, Tualatin, prescott, palomino, thoroughbred (tbred)a/b, barton…..?
12 how do I find out what the best cpu I can upgrade to is
13 why do Athlon XPs run at a different clock speed to their model number?
14 how do I overclock my cpu
15 what are socket 7, A, 478, 940, 939…
16 I think my cpu has burnt out, how do check?
17 do I need an expensive cpu to perform ordinary everyday tasks?
18 I want a quiet system, are there alternatives to relatively noisy AMD/Intel cpus?
19 how do I work out how much it costs to run my computer (interms of electricity)
20 should i get a retail or oem cpu?

i would answer them myself but i feel others may be more knowedgeable on a lot of these matters.

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MaximumGoat on 08/14/03 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
lol, i dont mind at all, just need a little input from people

"keyboard error or no keyboard present, press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup" spot the deliberate mistake

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Seriously, if you want to take this job, you have to bump up this post from time to time before it goes down to the bottom sink. I don't think moderators will make this sticky, in fact I never knew who are the mods here...

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
they're all pretty good questions, which also is going to make it one long faq....if turns out well enough, i would think a mod will take notice and make it a sticky. if you want a hand with anything, pm me, i would be glad to help where i can.