Varathane over enamel touch ups- Any problems?

I'm touching up my Pinbot's playfield with enamels, primarily Rustoleum
and Testors, and was wondering if they will cause me problems when I go
to clearcoat with Varathane. I've touched up with acrylics and had no
problems, but was wondering if the enamel will cause fish-eyes or other
binding/smoothing problems. Clay's site doesn't really address this as
he only talks about Varathane over acrylics, but I know Cliffy has shot
Varathane over enamel. Any tips or warnings or issues I should be aware
of?

The only thing you need to remember is just to not spray too heavy!
Better to do sevearl light coats per day than to lather it on. The
carrier in the aerosol may attack underlying coats is sprayed too
heavily. Patience, patience, patience. (I'm telling myself this, not you :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

I hear you - I have to tell myself the same all the time. I briefly
considered doing the auto clear coat thing, especially after seeing the
pics of that Gottlieb 300, but then when I went back and read Clay's
section on that and saw that "all of them raised up Testors" that
pretty much ruled that out. It's hard to be judicious with the
varathane because when you're laying it down, it needs that solid wet
to flow out really smooth. But I've found it's better to wait until the
last two coats to really lay it on. And by then, you should pretty much
have it glass-smooth anyway so you don't need so much to get that
saturated wet look. It's hard somtimes to tell though because that
stuff looks like it's going to be fish eye city, but as soon as it
opaques, it usually lays out nicely...that is, unless your prep work
was inadequate. Then it just lays into every flaw and magnifies them.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Should cause no problem whatsoever. I have applied varathane several times
over acrylics, lacquer and enamel touchups without incidence. Good luck!

Chris