STANDBY modes: S1, S3

My previous computers would wake up from STANDBY almost instantly when
I moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. My present laptop
requires me to press the power button, and, considering that it is just
in STANDBY, takes much too long to wake up - more than just a few
seconds.

What determines the STANDBY mode that a particular machine uses, and is
it something that can be configured?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about standby modes

    Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Probably your laptop computer goes into S4 (hibernate) mode and hence it takes a bit longer for it
    > to wake up. Under S4, all the data in the RAM is stored to the hard disk and the machine shuts
    > itself down fully.

    No, definitely not Hibernation, which I use regularly. I understand (I
    think) the mode to be S3, as opposed to the other computers' S1. Unlike
    Hibernation, the power on the machine is not off - there is a blinking
    light - and it doesn't take quite as long to resume as it does from
    Hibernation. Still, too long for resumption from Standby.

    Jon wrote:
    > I've found a program called dumppo.exe useful, in configuring standby
    > states.
    >
    > Still available here
    >
    > http://www.bellamyjc.net/download/dumppo.exe
    >

    > dumppo admin (gives current state of power settings)
    > dumppo admin minsleep=s1 (changes default standby state to s1)
    >
    > Best to search Google for more information relating to its usage, to see if
    > it may help

    I've forgotten about this one, Jon. I tried to download it some time
    ago, but the links were dead or the items were gone. I'll try your
    link. Thanks.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
    > My previous computers would wake up from STANDBY almost instantly when
    > I moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. My present laptop
    > requires me to press the power button, and, considering that it is just
    > in STANDBY, takes much too long to wake up - more than just a few
    > seconds.
    >
    > What determines the STANDBY mode that a particular machine uses, and is
    > it something that can be configured?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've found a program called dumppo.exe useful, in configuring standby
    states.

    Still available here

    http://www.bellamyjc.net/download/dumppo.exe

    dumppo admin (gives current state of power settings)
    dumppo admin minsleep=s1 (changes default standby state to s1)

    Best to search Google for more information relating to its usage, to see if
    it may help

    Jon

    "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
    > My previous computers would wake up from STANDBY almost instantly when
    > I moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. My present laptop
    > requires me to press the power button, and, considering that it is just
    > in STANDBY, takes much too long to wake up - more than just a few
    > seconds.
    >
    > What determines the STANDBY mode that a particular machine uses, and is
    > it something that can be configured?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well, I've tried DUMMPO, but it tells me I'm already at minsleep=S1.

    This is very strange, because my laptop is not the only one with the
    symptoms I've described. One co-worker has a relatively recent IBM
    Thinkpad and he also has to hit the power button to resume, and he also
    says his previous laptop was not like that.

    I'll play with DUMPPO this weekend.

    The "maxsleep" setting may be more relevant in your case, but don't quote me
    on that.

    Dumppo may not be the whole solution, either, ie there may be registry and
    BIOS settings that need changing too, but it may prove to be part of it.

    Let us know how you get on.

    Jon

    Jon wrote:
    > The "maxsleep" setting may be more relevant in your case, but don't quote me
    > on that.
    >
    > Dumppo may not be the whole solution, either, ie there may be registry and
    > BIOS settings that need changing too, but it may prove to be part of it.
    >
    > Let us know how you get on.

    Well, just in case this is of benefit to anybody, I'll summarize my
    findings.

    It does appear that there is more to it than DUMPPO. I can use the
    ADMIN keyword to set MINSLEEP=S1 (default=S3), but it has no effect,
    even though it now shows S1. This also applies if I sign on as
    ADMINISTRATOR (this may have some relevance, according to some posts).
    If I use the AC keyword (or is /AC - can't recall), I receive a more
    comprehensive list of details, indicating S3 - even after setting it to
    S1 using ADMIN. So, I conclude that there is something at the
    hardware/BIOS level that is forcing S3, and, since I am working on a
    laptop, where flexibility in BIOS settings is virtually non-existent,
    that's how things remain.

    Thanks for all the input.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP