Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

STANDBY modes: S1, S3

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:14:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My previous computers would wake up from STANDBY almost instantly when
I moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. My present laptop
requires me to press the power button, and, considering that it is just
in STANDBY, takes much too long to wake up - more than just a few
seconds.

What determines the STANDBY mode that a particular machine uses, and is
it something that can be configured?

Thanks.

More about : standby modes

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:45:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Probably your laptop computer goes into S4 (hibernate) mode and hence it takes a bit longer for it
> to wake up. Under S4, all the data in the RAM is stored to the hard disk and the machine shuts
> itself down fully.

No, definitely not Hibernation, which I use regularly. I understand (I
think) the mode to be S3, as opposed to the other computers' S1. Unlike
Hibernation, the power on the machine is not off - there is a blinking
light - and it doesn't take quite as long to resume as it does from
Hibernation. Still, too long for resumption from Standby.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:50:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jon wrote:
> I've found a program called dumppo.exe useful, in configuring standby
> states.
>
> Still available here
>
> http://www.bellamyjc.net/download/dumppo.exe
>
>
> dumppo admin (gives current state of power settings)
> dumppo admin minsleep=s1 (changes default standby state to s1)
>
> Best to search Google for more information relating to its usage, to see if
> it may help

I've forgotten about this one, Jon. I tried to download it some time
ago, but the links were dead or the items were gone. I'll try your
link. Thanks.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:29:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello,

Probably your laptop computer goes into S4 (hibernate) mode and hence it takes a bit longer for it
to wake up. Under S4, all the data in the RAM is stored to the hard disk and the machine shuts
itself down fully.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org


Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
news:1124986476.382665.143790@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> My previous computers would wake up from STANDBY almost instantly when
> I moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. My present laptop
> requires me to press the power button, and, considering that it is just
> in STANDBY, takes much too long to wake up - more than just a few
> seconds.
>
> What determines the STANDBY mode that a particular machine uses, and is
> it something that can be configured?
>
> Thanks.
>
August 25, 2005 10:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've found a program called dumppo.exe useful, in configuring standby
states.

Still available here

http://www.bellamyjc.net/download/dumppo.exe


dumppo admin (gives current state of power settings)
dumppo admin minsleep=s1 (changes default standby state to s1)

Best to search Google for more information relating to its usage, to see if
it may help

Jon


"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
news:1124986476.382665.143790@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> My previous computers would wake up from STANDBY almost instantly when
> I moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard. My present laptop
> requires me to press the power button, and, considering that it is just
> in STANDBY, takes much too long to wake up - more than just a few
> seconds.
>
> What determines the STANDBY mode that a particular machine uses, and is
> it something that can be configured?
>
> Thanks.
>
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well, I've tried DUMMPO, but it tells me I'm already at minsleep=S1.

This is very strange, because my laptop is not the only one with the
symptoms I've described. One co-worker has a relatively recent IBM
Thinkpad and he also has to hit the power button to resume, and he also
says his previous laptop was not like that.

I'll play with DUMPPO this weekend.
August 26, 2005 11:45:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The "maxsleep" setting may be more relevant in your case, but don't quote me
on that.

Dumppo may not be the whole solution, either, ie there may be registry and
BIOS settings that need changing too, but it may prove to be part of it.

Let us know how you get on.

Jon


"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
news:1125081197.247369.197010@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Well, I've tried DUMMPO, but it tells me I'm already at minsleep=S1.
>
> This is very strange, because my laptop is not the only one with the
> symptoms I've described. One co-worker has a relatively recent IBM
> Thinkpad and he also has to hit the power button to resume, and he also
> says his previous laptop was not like that.
>
> I'll play with DUMPPO this weekend.
>
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:17:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jon wrote:
> The "maxsleep" setting may be more relevant in your case, but don't quote me
> on that.
>
> Dumppo may not be the whole solution, either, ie there may be registry and
> BIOS settings that need changing too, but it may prove to be part of it.
>
> Let us know how you get on.
>
Well, just in case this is of benefit to anybody, I'll summarize my
findings.

It does appear that there is more to it than DUMPPO. I can use the
ADMIN keyword to set MINSLEEP=S1 (default=S3), but it has no effect,
even though it now shows S1. This also applies if I sign on as
ADMINISTRATOR (this may have some relevance, according to some posts).
If I use the AC keyword (or is /AC - can't recall), I receive a more
comprehensive list of details, indicating S3 - even after setting it to
S1 using ADMIN. So, I conclude that there is something at the
hardware/BIOS level that is forcing S3, and, since I am working on a
laptop, where flexibility in BIOS settings is virtually non-existent,
that's how things remain.

Thanks for all the input.
!