base Vcore can vary?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I read once that CPUs of the exact same type can come with different core voltages and that it affects overclocking. Where can I find the original Vcore of my 2.4c? I haven't messed with it yet and at the BIOS it says that currently, the voltage is 1.525, but when I run Winbond Hardware Doctor (the software that came with my Abit IS7-E) it says 1.46-1.49. What is my CPU specified Vcore? What is the range of voltages that P4 2.4c can get?

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

Praesul

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
The default Vcore for the 2.4c should be 1.525, and IMO the BIOS is probably right.

It´s true that some CPU´s have a lower Vcore, I had a 1.3GHz Duron once with a Vcore around 1.40. I could run it without a fan, just a heatsink. It would run at around 45°C under load, pretty cool!!!

I´d recommend good case-fans though if you´re ever thinking of running an AMD higher than K6-2 without a CPU-fan, I just had to try with my Duron. I don´t really remember how far it would overclock, but I was pretty impressed, since it was a Duron. It really gives you more headroom, having a low voltage CPU, but your overclock is only as good as the weakest link, and memory is often the reason your system won´t overclock much!

---
The difference between theory and practise in practise is greater than the difference between theory and practise in theory.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
More voltage can help with overclocking, as the higher frequencies require greater signal strength to work properly.

The amount by which you'd need to increase it depends on the chip.

However, raising the VCore on a chip is a great way of increasing it's heat output too, and running a chip at above it's default will shorten the life of the chip.

On the whole it's safe to go up by ~.1V on most chips, but on a P4 you shouldn't need to go above 1.7V (in fact I read somewhere that 1.75V and above can kill some P4s really quickly).

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's specified at 1.525v, either your line voltage is a little lower than specified, or the motherboard is providing a voltage lower than specified.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
IMO, mobos can't provide equal voltage all the time, it varies a little. My Duron 1.15 GHz (overclocked) is set to run at 1.825V, but in Winbond HW Doctor, it swings between 1.82V to 1.84V

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
its actually hardware monitoring...MBM5 says my vcore for my pIII is 1.63-1.68...i checked the voltage from the mobo's voltage regualtors...it is spot on 1.65 and was not fluctuating one bit...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Motherboards can do a fairly good job of keeping the voltage within a tight range, much better than most power supplies. But you can have 2 causes: Either the board's VRM is just a little off, or the line voltage from the power supply can be a bit low, to cause a CPU vCore to be consistantly slightly low.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>