External drive spin-down

August 25, 2005 1:16:44 PM

Although the hard drive on my laptop spins down when my machine goes
into STANDBY, my external USB drive does not. Should it? How?

thanks.

More about : external drive spin

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:08:28 PM

I do not think the external should spin down. My USB external drive does not
spin down every unless I unplug power to it.
Mike D
"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
> Although the hard drive on my laptop spins down when my machine goes
> into STANDBY, my external USB drive does not. Should it? How?
>
> thanks.

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:45:35 PM

Stan Brown wrote:

> Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
> after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
> sound.)

We are talking anout a USB drive, yes? If so, does the drive also spin
down in accordance with time specified in Power Settings?
August 26, 2005 3:18:15 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:28 -0500, "Mike D"
<mdouglas2005@comcast.net> wrote:

>"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
>> Although the hard drive on my laptop spins down when my machine goes
>> into STANDBY, my external USB drive does not. Should it? How?

>I do not think the external should spin down. My USB external drive does not
>spin down every unless I unplug power to it.

Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
sound.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:23:33 PM

Mikey wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:28 -0500, "Mike D"
> > <mdouglas2005@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > >"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
> >
> > >I do not think the external should spin down. My USB external drive does not
> > >spin down every unless I unplug power to it.
> >
> > Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
> > after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
> > sound.)
> >
> > --
> > Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
> > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> > "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
> > "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
> > "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
>
> Maybe there's a jumper on the drive that lets you choose to have the drive spin
> down after a few minutes of inactivity, or stay on indefinately? It seems to me
> though, that it'd be better for the drive (save wear & tear) if it spun down
> after a few minutes of inactivity.

Jumper? I suppose it's possible. I'd have to break open the case to
check, since it doesn't look like something intended to be opened
casually (I have one Lacie and one Iomega).

On the subject of wear & tear, I believe there are conflicting opinions
on the subject, and it is sometimes said that most potential damage
occurs when the drive is started from stationary position.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:29:43 PM

R. McCarty wrote:
> You might check with the drive vendor's web site. Some drives have
> interface support modules where you can define some operating modes
> on the drive (Acoustic...). I don't believe XP natively would spin the
> drive down. The USB Hub that hosts the device can be set to "Turn off
> this device to save power", but that wouldn't trigger a drive spin down.
> I have a Maxtor external and I've left it on for hours on end and it has
> never entered any low-power state I can remember. It might be handy
> to have that feature, as my Maxtor gets pretty warm inside that case. It
> only has a small row of vents in front and doesn't get what I consider
> enough air flow through it.

I'd still like confirmation from Stan as to whether or not his drive,
which he says DOES spin-down, is an external USB drive.

Yes, they do get warm, and that is probably the main concern, because
as I mention in a response to the preceding post, wear and tear are not
necessarily at their worst while the drive is spinning continuously.
August 26, 2005 3:49:54 PM

Stan Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:28 -0500, "Mike D"
> <mdouglas2005@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
> >> Although the hard drive on my laptop spins down when my machine goes
> >> into STANDBY, my external USB drive does not. Should it? How?
>
> >I do not think the external should spin down. My USB external drive does not
> >spin down every unless I unplug power to it.
>
> Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
> after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
> sound.)

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
> "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
> "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

Maybe there's a jumper on the drive that lets you choose to have the drive spin
down after a few minutes of inactivity, or stay on indefinately? It seems to me
though, that it'd be better for the drive (save wear & tear) if it spun down
after a few minutes of inactivity.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:03:34 PM

"Mikey" <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote in message

> Stan Brown wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:28 -0500, "Mike D"
>> <mdouglas2005@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> >"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
>>
>> >I do not think the external should spin down. My USB external drive does
>> >not
>> >spin down every unless I unplug power to it.
>>
>> Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
>> after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
>> sound.)
>>
>> --
>> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
>> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
>> "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
>> "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
>> "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
>
> Maybe there's a jumper on the drive that lets you choose to have the drive
> spin
> down after a few minutes of inactivity, or stay on indefinately? It seems
> to me
> though, that it'd be better for the drive (save wear & tear) if it spun
> down
> after a few minutes of inactivity.

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:37:09 AM

On 26 Aug 2005 08:45:35 -0700, "bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote:

>Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
>> after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
>> sound.)
>
>We are talking anout a USB drive, yes? If so, does the drive also spin
>down in accordance with time specified in Power Settings?

Yes, a USB drive, model number WD1600B015-RNN. My Power settings say
to turn off hard disk after 5 minutes, but until you posed your
query it never occurred to me that that would apply to external hard
disks as well. I'm not unhappy about it. :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 5:11:00 AM

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:18:15 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:08:28 -0500, "Mike D"
><mdouglas2005@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>"bxf" <bill@topman.net> wrote in message
>>> Although the hard drive on my laptop spins down when my machine goes
>>> into STANDBY, my external USB drive does not. Should it? How?
>
>>I do not think the external should spin down. My USB external drive does not
>>spin down every unless I unplug power to it.
>
>Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
>after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
>sound.)

I've already answered the first query: yes, this is an external USB
drive. But apparently there was a flurry of interest, so I've dug up
the user manual from the install disk (which wasn't actually needed
to run the drive).

Spin-down: the manual says after 10 minutes of inactivity; my Power
Management settings say after 5 minutes. Tonight I let it go, and it
took about 10 minutes (definitely more than 5).

The manual has to be taken with a grain of salt. It also says the
drive is preformatted as a single FAT32 partition, and in the same
paragraph says FAT32 partitions are limited to 32GB! (It's a 160GB
drive. XP's Properties says it's FAT32 all right, one big 160 GB
volume. Partition Magic says the drive's clusters are 32K big.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:22:21 AM

Stan Brown wrote:

> >Interesting -- mine (Western Digital 160 GB, brand new) seems to
> >after a few minutes of inactivity. (I'm basing my conclusion on the
> >sound.)
>
> I've already answered the first query: yes, this is an external USB
> drive. But apparently there was a flurry of interest, so I've dug up
> the user manual from the install disk (which wasn't actually needed
> to run the drive).
>
> Spin-down: the manual says after 10 minutes of inactivity; my Power
> Management settings say after 5 minutes. Tonight I let it go, and it
> took about 10 minutes (definitely more than 5).

I believe this is the key: the spin-down is managed by the drive
itself, NOT by windows Power Management. I've read about this type of
control being built into some drives, and I guess this is one example
of exactly that, and in the absence of same on my drive, there is
nothing I can do

Thanks for all the input.
!