Cleaning up laptop for resale

Hi

I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
of me remains?

I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
some guidance.

Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?

I would appreciate help.

--

Many thanks
JD

    Thanks, I'll do that
    --

    Many thanks
    JD

    "uggabugga" wrote:

    > Reformatting is the best way. Certain laptops have the XP installation files
    > on a protected part of the hard drive and only require pushing a key at start
    > up to initiate the reinstallation process. Pressing F11 on an IBM Thinkpad
    > T41 for instance. I'd check with the manufacturer of your laptop.
    >
    > "Jackie D" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
    > > of me remains?
    > >
    > > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
    > > some guidance.
    > >
    > > Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
    > > fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?
    > >
    > > I would appreciate help.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Many thanks
    > > JD

    1) Will you be able to sell the unit with a blank, formatted hard drive?
    2) Will you be able to sell the unit without the Windows CD included?

    NOTE: The utility below will completely wipe the drive. There is no UNDO
    option with this. If you really want to wipe the drive, this is an
    easy-to-use utility. Proceed with caution.

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    Donny Broome
    donny AT broomeman DOT com
    Kill Spyware! Visit:
    http://www.broomeman.com/spyware/

    "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure
    > nothing
    > of me remains?
    >
    > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do
    > with
    > some guidance.
    >
    > Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
    > fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?
    >
    > I would appreciate help.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Many thanks
    > JD

    Hello Jackie,

    The best way to get rid of all your personal data before selling your laptop would be to format the
    hard drive and clean install Windows XP. Some resources on how to perform a clean install are given
    below:

    See the section titled 'Perform a clean install of Windows XP'
    How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

    Clean install XP

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
    > of me remains?
    >
    > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
    > some guidance.
    >
    > Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
    > fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?
    >
    > I would appreciate help.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Many thanks
    > JD

    She does not have the XP disc.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello Jackie,
    >
    > The best way to get rid of all your personal data before selling your laptop would be to format the
    > hard drive and clean install Windows XP. Some resources on how to perform a clean install are given
    > below:
    >
    > See the section titled 'Perform a clean install of Windows XP'
    > How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
    >
    > Clean install XP
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
    > > of me remains?
    > >
    > > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
    > > some guidance.
    > >
    > > Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
    > > fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?
    > >
    > > I would appreciate help.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Many thanks
    > > JD

    If there's no laptop oem disk how about:
    - use a program like Belarc to list the windows key and hardware information.
    - make note of the devices in Device Manager and search for drivers to keep
    on hand.
    - borrow an XP install disk (assuming the laptop windows key is legit). Not
    sure here, but might need to be careful about which disk to use with the key
    (i.e. retail or oem).
    - reformat the hd, install the OS, and afterwards load the device drivers
    the install didn't recognize.

    A lot more work than an oem disk, but better than nothing!
    Hope this helps.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello Jackie,
    >
    > The best way to get rid of all your personal data before selling your laptop would be to format the
    > hard drive and clean install Windows XP. Some resources on how to perform a clean install are given
    > below:
    >
    > See the section titled 'Perform a clean install of Windows XP'
    > How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
    >
    > Clean install XP
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
    > > of me remains?
    > >
    > > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
    > > some guidance.
    > >
    > > Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
    > > fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?
    > >
    > > I would appreciate help.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Many thanks
    > > JD

    > > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe reformatting the drive isn't
    > > a good idea? Or perhaps it is?

    Read the "perhaps it is ?" part ? I stressed and recommended based on that part.

    --

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > > > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe reformatting the drive isn't
    > > > a good idea? Or perhaps it is?
    >
    > Read the "perhaps it is ?" part ? I stressed and recommended based on that part.
    >
    > --
    > Have alook at http://www.cyberscrub.info/

    Regards Colin.
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >

    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > She does not have the XP disc.
    > > --
    > > That's just like my opinion, Man........
    > >

    > > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello Jackie,
    > >>
    > >> The best way to get rid of all your personal data before selling your laptop would be to format
    > >> the
    > >> hard drive and clean install Windows XP. Some resources on how to perform a clean install are
    > >> given
    > >> below:
    > >>
    > >> See the section titled 'Perform a clean install of Windows XP'
    > >> How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
    > >>
    > >> Clean install XP
    > >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Anando
    > >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > >> http://www.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> Folder customizations
    > >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    > >>
    > >> Protect your PC!
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >>

    > >> "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    That might be fine advice if the laptop is going to a relative or something,
    but if this is going to some stranger, that stranger may well end up
    demanding the original install CD with the purchased laptop, and depending
    on the terms of the sale, could legitimately expect to get it. And if the OP
    had to provide that CD after the fact, it's going to be costly.

    And yes, you have the correct key with the correct CD version. They aren't
    mix 'n match.

    And with the new activation rituals, using a generic oem cd with the
    oem-provided key could also cause some problems down the road.

    "gregski" <gregski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If there's no laptop oem disk how about:
    > - use a program like Belarc to list the windows key and hardware
    > information.
    > - make note of the devices in Device Manager and search for drivers to
    > keep
    > on hand.
    > - borrow an XP install disk (assuming the laptop windows key is legit).
    > Not
    > sure here, but might need to be careful about which disk to use with the
    > key
    > (i.e. retail or oem).
    > - reformat the hd, install the OS, and afterwards load the device drivers
    > the install didn't recognize.
    >
    > A lot more work than an oem disk, but better than nothing!
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Jackie,
    >>
    >> The best way to get rid of all your personal data before selling your
    >> laptop would be to format the
    >> hard drive and clean install Windows XP. Some resources on how to perform
    >> a clean install are given
    >> below:
    >>
    >> See the section titled 'Perform a clean install of Windows XP'
    >> How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941
    >>
    >> Clean install XP
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>

    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>

    >> "Jackie D" <jackied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first
    >> > (including
    >> > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure
    >> > nothing
    >> > of me remains?
    >> >
    >> > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    >> > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do
    >> > with
    >> > some guidance.
    >> >
    >> > Also, ny name pops up as the system administrator (I'm the only user in
    >> > fact). How do I get rid of my user account for the new owner?
    >> >
    >> > I would appreciate help.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >

    >> > Many thanks
    >> > JD

    Many OEMs offer the opportunity to make restore disks if they don't supply a
    restore CD.
    It is usually under the Manufacturers menu in Start>Programs.
    If it's there, you can make the CDs, then restore the machine to it's
    original factory configuration.
    Your data should be wiped by the format/restore.
    --
    A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!

    Jackie D wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
    > of me remains?

    To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
    and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
    be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
    protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
    (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
    U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
    drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    applications.

    > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
    > some guidance.

    Even if the laptop's manufacturer didn't provide a WinXP installation
    CD, they would have had to have provided you some means of returning the
    laptop to it's original, ex-factory state. Consult the manual that came
    with the laptop, or the manufacturer's web site for precise instructions.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    HI everyone

    Thanks to all of you for replying to my question. I have a confession to
    make! I DO have the restore disc. I didn't realise this is what I needed to
    reinstall Windows. Sorry... I have now reinstalled windows (having performed
    a full format of the HD).

    But I am still worried that if I sell the laptop some clever person might
    still be able to retrieve my data. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Would it help
    to use a file shredder or is is too late given that I've reformatted my drive?

    I have posted a question about file shredders separately to this thread
    (which was a bit dumb) so apologies to anyone who replies there too.
    --

    Many thanks
    JD

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Jackie D wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm selling my laptop and want to clear all my files off first (including
    > > cookies, history etc). Is there a procedure I should follow to ensure nothing
    > > of me remains?
    > >

    > To protect your personal information and data from any future users
    > of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive
    > and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to
    > be included in the transfer. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
    > protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
    > (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?ProductNum=07) meets
    > U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
    > drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
    > applications.
    >

    > > I don't have a windows xp disk (it came already installed) so maybe
    > > reformatting the drive isn't a good idea? Or perhaps it is? I could do with
    > > some guidance.
    > >

    > Even if the laptop's manufacturer didn't provide a WinXP installation
    > CD, they would have had to have provided you some means of returning the
    > laptop to it's original, ex-factory state. Consult the manual that came
    > with the laptop, or the manufacturer's web site for precise instructions.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm