My computer is 32 bit, need 64 bit to install windows 7

troy 6570

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
can i install a new windows 7 64 bit onto my windows xp 32 bit, to upgrade my new computer to read all my ram?

troy 6570

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

* i have a msi 760gm-p23 fx, with am3+ cpu ready pro series, with oc genie and unlock cpu core.
it holds two 8 gig ddr3 ram sticks(16 gig total)
i have an amd phenom 2, x6 multi-core processor, 2.7 ghz, 3.2 ghz turbo core, true six core design with 9.0 mb total cache
my 24 bit windows xp wont allow my computer to identify the 8 gig ram stick i have in. it only reads that i have up to no more than 4 gig of ram.
i want it to show and work accordingly to my total ram.
i have an older ide 160g hard drive with a adapter to make my new sata motherboard compatible to my ide hard drive(ide to sata converter)
im using an 800 watt power supply ak series with sata atx ready
oh and my tower is black and silver -lol

The board and CPU are both more then able to handle a 64 bit OS.

The SATA - > IDE device can use windows built in drivers(could even be called driverless because it just needs SATA drivers, it will not even be seen as ide).

As long as you do not have a very old printer and scanner, chances are they have drivers on the makers web site as well.

troy 6570

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

ok so what do i need to do to upgrade to a windows 7 64 bit?
i was told i might need to install windows 7 32 bit , then a windows 7 64 bit, is this true?
i dont know much of anything about software and im learning to build my computer as i go. im some what happy with my computer but i want it to work to its top potential.
is there such a thing as windows xp 64 bit? can i upgrade my windows xp 32 bit to a 64 bit? if so how do i do this?
im sure i sound quite stupid because i dont know much about computers but this is how we find out isnt it? lol
thank you so much for your time with me. i appreciate it a lot.

You generally can not upgrade 32 to 64 bit(the system chances are just too much). It involves a fresh install(starting over. backup files or create an extra partition to install it on.).

While they do have a 64-bit XP, it has long since gone off the market and was not actually that good because it needed its own drivers and Vista came out with 64-bit and MANY more drivers.

Windows 7 could effectively use Windows Vista 64-bit drivers. Windows 8 has some minor changes to Sound/Video drivers, but in general, you can get drivers for most hardware in both 32 and 64 bit on it as well.

So your best bet now is Windows 7 or 8(look into 8, as some users to not like the lack of the start button and the new full screen program launcher.)

If you do not plan to change the computer(motherboard) for a good while. The OEM version of 7 is cheaper then the retail(Box from the store).

It is important to know that the OEM copy is locked to the first motherboard it is activated on so if you swap the board, it may fail to activate on the new one.

The retail copy does not have this issue and in general cost about 2x the price. It has the advantage that as long as it is only on one system at a time, it can be activated on a new system when you take it off the old one.

troy 6570

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

where do i get this oem version of 7? whats the cost,average?

Most online stores like newegg, ncix, amazon ect. This is the Home Premium version. It has a limit of 16gigabytes of memory, If you need more you have to move to more expensive versions(Pro/Ultimate). 16 should be more then enough for most users.

average is about $90-100 average vs 200-230 for retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116983

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116983 - 80$!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352825815&sr=8-1&keywords=Windows+7+oem

Before swapping to a new version of windows, you will want to backup all your files or install Windows 7 on a new drive(new drives are MUCH faster then old ones).

You should also get all the required drivers off the motherboard makers website. With a fresh install, lots of things will need to have drivers installed(chipset/network/sound/video/ect).

http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P23--FX-.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064