Sign in with
Your question

My AthlonXP...How Come?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2003 4:10:05 PM

Well, I'm using an AthlonXP 2500+ (no overclock) with Gigabyte K7V600 as MB. I just bought a Cooler Master Aero7+ Heatsink with some Arctic Ceramique and it still got 52C when idle (29C Room Temperature, 2 Case Fans - no intake and exhaust system, temp. checked at BIOS). What can I do to improve the temperature?

I installed Windows XP Home Edition in it successfully, however it hangs (all things halt, even the cursor) really easily (like when I right click and select something!). What could result in this? Could this be a CPU overheating problem?

I'm such a newbie in building and don't understand a lot. Looking for lots of advices from you all. Thank you very much.

Hardwares:
M/B: Gigabyte KTV600
CPU: AthlonXP 2500+ Barton 333FSB
RAM: Kingston 256MB DDR-333
HDD: Maxtor 30GB 7200rpm
Display: Geforce2 MX200 (PCI Version)
CD-ROM: Samsung 52x CD-ROM
Floppy Drive: Samsung Floppy Drive
Power Supply: Galaxy 350W Power Supply / 220V input

More about : athlonxp

August 15, 2003 4:25:42 PM

Quote:
2 Case Fans - no intake and exhaust system

Huh? Can you explain that a little better. How can you have two case fans but not any air intake or exhaust? :\

Quote:
I installed Windows XP Home Edition in it successfully, however it hangs (all things halt, even the cursor) really easily (like when I right click and select something!). What could result in this? Could this be a CPU overheating problem?

It could be. It could also be a power supply problem, a bad stick of RAM, a damaged hard drive, the video card just not properly seated, etc., etc. There are more possible causes than you can shake a memory stick at.

Back to your temp problems though, are you sure that the heat sink it seated well? Did you use too much thermal paste? Are your case fans set up to create a vacuum instead of assisting the airflow? Are you counting the CPU's heatsink fan, the power supply's fan, and/or the graphics card fan as 'case' fans?

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>
August 15, 2003 5:02:00 PM

The two case fans (installed ON the case) is parallel. so I believe that it hasn't got an intake/exhaust system.

And for the temp. problem, I just wanna ask if 52C is too high for idle?
Related resources
August 15, 2003 5:25:44 PM

Quote:
The two case fans (installed ON the case) is parallel. so I believe that it hasn't got an intake/exhaust system.

Okay, we're definately having a communication barrier here. What do you mean by the two case fans being in parallel? And what exactly, in your mind, is an intake/exhaust system?

Quote:
And for the temp. problem, I just wanna ask if 52C is too high for idle?

I'd have to say that in my opinion it is abnormally high just for idle. I don't think that it is really <i>too</i> high though. I mean it could easily be better, but it shouldn't be causing your problems I don't think.

<pre><b><font color=red>*** BattleTech - The Crescent Hawks Inception ***</b>
Pilot twenty-ton behemoth robots to save your planet from a
Kuritian invasion force. Now available on the C=64!</font color=red></pre><p>
August 15, 2003 5:30:51 PM

I had the same problem when I installed XP for the first time. It was fine running win 98 but not XP. My suggestion is to go into the bios and relax your memory timings. If you don't want to do that, then buy a good stick of RAM to put in there. See if this helps.

Get your own sig!!! :tongue:
August 15, 2003 7:12:50 PM

With 2 case fans, 1 should blow in, the higher one should blow out. If your room is 30c or higher, 52c cpu temps would be normal. If your room is cooler, the first thing to check is if the hsf is sitting tight to your cpu. As the heatsink/fan can be installed 2 ways, but only 1 is right, this may be the problem.

I just read the room temp, it is a bit warm but check the hsf, that is probably the problem.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 08/15/03 03:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!