Time Keeps Changing

Running XP Pro SP 2. The time is behind by about 30 minutes. If I change it
manually, within a minute or so it reverts back. I DO NOT have "Use a
network time server" checked. (Attempting to use a time server always fails
anyway.)

Where is the system getting this time from and why is it constantly changing
back?

Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply
More about time changing

    Make sure that the correct time zone is selected.

    "CutterMilw" wrote:

    > Running XP Pro SP 2. The time is behind by about 30 minutes. If I change it
    > manually, within a minute or so it reverts back. I DO NOT have "Use a
    > network time server" checked. (Attempting to use a time server always fails
    > anyway.)
    >
    > Where is the system getting this time from and why is it constantly changing
    > back?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    The time zone is correct (Central US). Daylight Savings is checked.

    What time zone would be 30 minutes off anyway????

    Anyone else have a suggestion?

    "CD" wrote:

    > Make sure that the correct time zone is selected.
    >
    > "CutterMilw" wrote:
    >
    > > Running XP Pro SP 2. The time is behind by about 30 minutes. If I change it
    > > manually, within a minute or so it reverts back. I DO NOT have "Use a
    > > network time server" checked. (Attempting to use a time server always fails
    > > anyway.)
    > >
    > > Where is the system getting this time from and why is it constantly changing
    > > back?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

    Have you checked your CMOS time to make sure it is correct?

    "CutterMilw" wrote:

    > The time zone is correct (Central US). Daylight Savings is checked.
    >
    > What time zone would be 30 minutes off anyway????
    >
    > Anyone else have a suggestion?
    >

    > "CD" wrote:
    >
    > > Make sure that the correct time zone is selected.
    > >
    > > "CutterMilw" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Running XP Pro SP 2. The time is behind by about 30 minutes. If I change it
    > > > manually, within a minute or so it reverts back. I DO NOT have "Use a
    > > > network time server" checked. (Attempting to use a time server always fails
    > > > anyway.)
    > > >
    > > > Where is the system getting this time from and why is it constantly changing
    > > > back?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance!

    I will double-check the CMOS, but I am doubtful this is the issue.

    The system is brand new and the clock resets 30 minutes earlier...not just
    some random number or midnight as though the battery is dead. Also, the date
    is fine, so again I question the whole battery thing or CMOS.

    I'll report back in the morning, unless someone has another suggestion.

    "CutterMilw" <CutterMilw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Running XP Pro SP 2. The time is behind by about 30 minutes. If I change
    > it
    > manually, within a minute or so it reverts back. I DO NOT have "Use a
    > network time server" checked. (Attempting to use a time server always
    > fails
    > anyway.)
    >
    > Where is the system getting this time from and why is it constantly
    > changing
    > back?
    It gets the time from the clock on the motherboard. Have you checked the
    battery?
    Jim

    > Thanks in advance!

    Change your battery

    --
    Peter

    Jim wrote:

    > "CutterMilw" <CutterMilw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> Running XP Pro SP 2. The time is behind by about 30 minutes. If I
    >> change it
    >> manually, within a minute or so it reverts back. I DO NOT have "Use
    >> a network time server" checked. (Attempting to use a time server
    >> always fails
    >> anyway.)
    >>
    >> Where is the system getting this time from and why is it constantly
    >> changing
    >> back?

    > It gets the time from the clock on the motherboard. Have you checked
    > the battery?

    I don't know what his problem is, but it can't be the battery. He says
    "within a minute or so it reverts back." That means it's failing while
    Windows is running. If a time problem occurs while powered off, the problem
    *is* very likely the battery. But if it's while running, it can *not* be the
    battery, because the battery isn't used while the computer is running.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    CutterMilw wrote:
    > The time zone is correct (Central US). Daylight Savings is checked.
    >
    > What time zone would be 30 minutes off anyway????

    Since you asked - Newfoundland and Labrador.

    Ann

Servers Microsoft Windows XP