vpotluri

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
I was planning to build a PC with Springdale chipset but I hear Prescott is around the corner. Would Prescott require an all new mobo with a new chipset, etc?? What are the advantages of Prescott over Springdale/Northwood? When is Prescott being released? Thanks.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Originally Intel was going to make the first Prescott's compatible with the Springdale Chipset but they just retracted that just recently though they knew about it for a while. So Prescott will require a brand new mother board but chances are you will be able to keep your old ram (assumming its DDR 400.)

One advantage Prescott does have is I believe Hyper Threading 2 which is supposed to be more efficient then the original HT technology. It will allow future upgradability, well hopefully, as long as Intel doesn't decide to go buck wild with all the different sockets. Also, it is being made on the 90 nm process which should allow higher clock speeds at less voltage which means lower temperature. Unfortunatly, Intel is experiencing problems with that so the release date may be pushed back some. Some early reports say a 3.6 Ghz Prescott runs at 100 Watts+.

If I were in the same boat as you were in, which I am, I would just ride the wave out. See what AMD does and how Intel counters it and vice versa. Even be a rebel and let Intel release their new processor as you buy the dramatically price reduced i875 motherboard and a 3.0 Ghz processor for cheap. Trust me, that would hold you off for quite a while.
(read next post, mistakes made here.)
-----------------------
Add witty comment here.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gothitbycar on 08/15/03 09:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
man...get your facts strait...

prescotts still will be compatable on some boards...intel tried to save a buck or two on their made by intel mobos and now they are paying for it cause they do not support scotty...

early reports say that scotty puts out 100watts not runs at 100c...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Sorry I meant 100 Watts but was being pre-occupied by something else at the time.
i did have a lot of mistakes in that, I'm not a good mutli-tasker.
Why wont all of the scottys be supported by the springdale mobo's? Is it the FSB or the pin layout or what?

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it has to do with voltage regualtion...some boards skimped and they did not follow the new Vrm standards that were published for the scotty...companys like asus did...and they will have compatability...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: