Problems with Laserjet P4015n connected with Jetdirect 300x

cogNETive

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
We have an HP Laserjet P4015n printer normally attached to the network though a Jetdirect 300x print server.
Lately its been acting up and no documents will print from the printer. Here's whats going on:

If the printer is connected through either USB, Parrallel (straight to the computers printer port), or through Ethernet everything is working fine. But here we need two network connections (two separate networks) which we usually do by using a Jetdirect 300x print server along with the ethernet connection.

If you install the printer through the Parrallel to the Jetdirect box, the printer is seen and installs fine. It uses the HP PCL6 driver and I can print a test page. The next time I try to print I get the following:

Printer Display Output:

Processing....
Data Recieved
Ready
Data Recieved
Ready
Data Recieved
Ready

This loop continues and eventually the print job fails to print.

The printer will also randomly print error pages such as:

PCL XL error
Subsystem: Kernel
Error: IllegalOperatorSequence
Operator: 0x1b
Position: 769

OR

PCL XL error
Subsystem: Userstream
Error: Missing Data
Operator: 0xf8
Position: 769

Most of them are the Kernel and IllegalOperatorSequence.

My reasearch as found that this can be due to errors in the PCL6 driver but I've tried the PCL5 and PS drivers with no luck. The printer will not function with these drivers at all.

I have done a cold reset on the printer, updated the firmware of the printer and the jetdirect box with no difference in result. The printer and jetdirect box work fine separately but when put together the problem occurs.

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this printer up and running asap.

mciros1

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Have you printed out a configuration page and seen if the IP address was there or was it all 0. If it was all 0's then you need to reinstall your IP. If your IP is there then replace the jetdirect card Part # J7943A. If you did a cold reset without pulling out the jetdirect card then you erased the IP address and you will need to reinstall it. Also see if the green light is on where you plug in the network cable on the network card.

cogNETive

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for your reply!

The printer doesn't have an internal jetdirect card installed, it is attached to an external jet direct 300x via a parallel card installed in the printer.

The printer's ip config is fine and it prints from the ethernet port. The problem is when trying to print from the external jet direct box attached with a parallel cable.

We need to have two connections because we have 2 completely seperate networks.

I know we can purchase an internal jet direct card to replace the parallel card but this donsn't really make too much sense to me since all the components (parallel card, jetdirect box, etc..) are working seperately on their own.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance.