start -> programs

August 25, 2005 1:55:08 PM

For some reason, when I click start, then go to programs> it points to the
folder c:\jim\misc\start button\ I remember about a year ago i was going to
do some customizing and made this folder for my shortcuts. Well I changed my
mind, and I want it to point back to the default folder. I search the
registry and change all the keys to c:\documents & settings\jim\start
menu\programs\ etc etc, assume it will work and restart. Well, it doesnt
work. It just reverts back to c:\jim\misc\start button. Why is this? How can
I change the programs folder to point to c:\documents & settings\jim\start
menu\programs\ ?

More about : start programs

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:50:59 PM

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Set:
"Start Menu" to "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu"
"Programs" to "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs"
"Startup" to "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

All of the above are REG_EXPAND_SZ values.
Logoff/login back.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User