Anyone every hook up home speakers to a pin?

Last response: in Video Games
July 16, 2005 5:53:39 AM

Was wondering if anyone has ever done this. I have 2 cerwin vegas & 2
scotts speakers I was thinking about hooking up. No I'm not going to
hook up all 4.. Can a pin power home speakers?

Chas

More about : hook home speakers pin

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:19:52 AM

Hell no. A pin can power one or two little cheesy 4-8 ohm car-type or
component speakers. But you can run the signal to a line output
converter and then from that hook it up to your stereo, just using
rca's into an aux input and listen to it that way. The question is
though, why? Do you have some neighbors you really hate and want to
torture, or do you have a game that has such cool sounds/voices/music
that you'd want to hear it that loud?
I'm not really sure either if the output needs to be modified much. The
average input sensitivity of a home stereo receiver aux input is 150mV
at 24 kOhms of resistance. But I have never tried to do this, so I've
never checked the output level at speaker level on a pin. But look at
it this way - If your stereo needs all of that amplification circuitry
to drive those speakers, what makes you think the pin could drive them
without said circuitry? That's why you would have to have an LOC or
preamp, IMNSHO.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:38:25 AM

> But you can run the signal to a line output converter and then from that hook it up to your stereo

Or take the line out signal right off the audio board before the amp
section. No need to amplify, then convert back down again.

Barry - NY
July 16, 2005 3:42:07 PM

It can be done but..... WHY?
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:25:09 AM

I think it would be FANTASTIC to pipe your pin sounds into a 4 speaker
system with good power. I think the older games that don't have frontal
backbox speakers would benefit greatly, especially if on carpeted floors.

"chuckster" <crrogers@ptd.net> wrote in message
> It can be done but..... WHY?

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 8:43:29 PM

I sort of do this with every pin.

I "tap" into the sound board speaker out header pins. I create my own
molex connector which I have connected to a line out converter. I run
the backbox frequency rca out to an amplifier, which then powers new
coaxial speakers that I install in the backbox. I run the cabinet
speaker rca to a powered subwoofer which sits under my pin. This really
makes my pins sound awesome. My arcade is in my basement so the
neighbors can't hear it.

Dino
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:18:25 AM

Yeah I'd like to do that with my BSD and give it a try :)

Chas
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:53:10 AM

Here's what I did to hook up my pinball machines to my receiver and
speakers.

Each of my pinball machines has a PinballPro headphone adapter, which
taps into the speaker board. You can get them here:

http://www.decoratorsupply.com/pinball/Products/Speaker...

The cable from headphone adapter runs along the bottom edge of the
pinball machine to the bottom front. I made a LONG cable that converts
the mini headphone connector into RCA inputs for the receiver. This
cable is long enough to be plugged into any of my pinball machine's
headphone jack, so I can move the audio source to any pin I want. This
audio system gives me "surround sound" at any volume level I desire,
PLUS I can use headphones if I want on any machine for times when
(relative) quiet is needed. When I have pinball parties/tournaments,
the final game gets played on the big speakers for the whole room to
hear.

I'm no audiophile, but the sound quality is good enough for me. It
made my TZ (when I had one) sound a lot better.

-Brannon
!