Replacing Inspiron laptop motherboard?

I've replaced various parts on desktops, but my Inspiron looks a bit
intimidating. Does anyone know where I could find instructions for
changing a motherboard? Thanks, TC

In article <qctes0p1h3odilsuc8vo5tadk4vkk1g9n3@4ax.com>,
zapataXXX@XXXprefer.net says...

> I've replaced various parts on desktops, but my Inspiron looks a bit
> intimidating. Does anyone know where I could find instructions for
> changing a motherboard? Thanks, TC

I just finished changing the board on an Inspiron 3500. I didn't
think it was that hard, but then again, I've been working with
electronics and computers alike for 25+ years.

The most important things to remember with this sort of operation
are:

(1) Dell does NOT have a service manual available for download for
the Inspiron 3500. I cannot say if they may have others, since I've not
looked.

(2) You need a clean, well-lighted, hard-surface, and ANTI-STATIC
(very important!) work surface to do the job on. You should also use an
anti-static wrist strap. Kitchen tables or a typical office desk are NOT
the work surface of choice here.

(3) The trickiest thing with any laptop is that they must be
disassembled and reassembled in sequence, and there is no hard-and-fast
rule about what comes off or goes back on first.

If your Inspiron is like the one I worked on, you will need to
remove ALL the screws on the bottom of the case first, plus the one in
back holding the center part of the screen hinge in place. MAKE CAREFUL
NOTE of screw length AND HEAD TYPE! Some are countersunk flat-head,
where others are pan-head.

Carefully separate the case halves, and use equal care when
unplugging cables. In most cases, you will need to GENTLY open the
pressure latch on the various flex connectors before the flexes will
come free. This can be done with a small flat-blade screwdriver of about
the same size that you would use on D-sub connector screws.

That's about all the advice I can offer without actually being
there. If you're still not comfortable after reading the above, or if
you do not have access to the proper work environment, you should enlist
professional assistance.

Good luck.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Check support.dell.com and type your Service Tag number under the
documentation link normally they have the service manual.

"Terance Cantrell" <zapataXXX@XXXprefer.net> wrote in message
> I've replaced various parts on desktops, but my Inspiron looks a bit
> intimidating. Does anyone know where I could find instructions for
> changing a motherboard? Thanks, TC

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I'm not positive his website has it, but it has just about everything...so,
have you tried www.baywolf.com?
I used that website when I replaced the processor and the hard drive in my
Inspiron.

"Terance Cantrell" <zapataXXX@XXXprefer.net> wrote in message
> I've replaced various parts on desktops, but my Inspiron looks a bit
> intimidating. Does anyone know where I could find instructions for
> changing a motherboard? Thanks, TC

Thanks fellows. That's a great help. TC

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:03:15 -0800, Terance Cantrell

George <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote:
> I'm not positive his website has it, but it has just about everything...so,
> have you tried www.baywolf.com?

Better try http://www.bay-wolf.com instead. :)))

(certainly both domains exist!)

Igor.

Bruce Lane <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

> (1) Dell does NOT have a service manual available for download for
> the Inspiron 3500. I cannot say if they may have others, since I've not
> looked.

The Latitude CPt C-Series and CPi R-Series have a good service manual
available on-line. That is one of the reasons I got a used CPi R400GT
laptop some years ago. VERY useful, indeed!

> (2) You need a clean, well-lighted, hard-surface, and ANTI-STATIC
> (very important!) work surface to do the job on. You should also use an
> anti-static wrist strap. Kitchen tables or a typical office desk are NOT
> the work surface of choice here.

Interesting... I have some anti-static wrist straps here, but I do not
have an anti-static work surface. Any advice on this matter? I never
damaged an electronic component with a static discharge, but I am
very interested in any tip on this issue.

> (3) The trickiest thing with any laptop is that they must be
> disassembled and reassembled in sequence, and there is no hard-and-fast
> rule about what comes off or goes back on first.

Agreed! After reading the service manual for my laptop I discovered
that disassembling the computer to change/upgrade a component is NOT
an obvious task!

> If your Inspiron is like the one I worked on, you will need to
> remove ALL the screws on the bottom of the case first, plus the one in
> back holding the center part of the screen hinge in place. MAKE CAREFUL
> NOTE of screw length AND HEAD TYPE! Some are countersunk flat-head,
> where others are pan-head.

Are those screws marked with D (display), P (palmrest assembly)
and K (keyboard) characters? Just curious, but perhaps this information
will be useful for the original poster.

Not sure about the palmrest... as this part is easily replaceable
by end users on Inspiron laptops.

> Carefully separate the case halves, and use equal care when
> unplugging cables. In most cases, you will need to GENTLY open the
> pressure latch on the various flex connectors before the flexes will
> come free. This can be done with a small flat-blade screwdriver of about
> the same size that you would use on D-sub connector screws.

Those ZIF connector are the worst part of the computer! I do not
like the flexible connectors too... that is the reason I do not
like opening my laptop. :-(

> That's about all the advice I can offer without actually being
> there. If you're still not comfortable after reading the above, or if
> you do not have access to the proper work environment, you should enlist
> professional assistance.

Both are nice advices, though.

Good luck with the hardware work!

Igor.

Craig

"Igor Sobrado" <igor@no-spam.on.the.net> wrote in message
> Bruce Lane <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
>>
>> (1) Dell does NOT have a service manual available for download for
>> the Inspiron 3500. I cannot say if they may have others, since I've not
>> looked.
>
> The Latitude CPt C-Series and CPi R-Series have a good service manual
> available on-line. That is one of the reasons I got a used CPi R400GT
> laptop some years ago. VERY useful, indeed!
>
>> (2) You need a clean, well-lighted, hard-surface, and ANTI-STATIC
>> (very important!) work surface to do the job on. You should also use an
>> anti-static wrist strap. Kitchen tables or a typical office desk are NOT
>> the work surface of choice here.
>
> Interesting... I have some anti-static wrist straps here, but I do not
> have an anti-static work surface. Any advice on this matter? I never
> damaged an electronic component with a static discharge, but I am
> very interested in any tip on this issue.

Anti static mats
http://www.all-spec.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=category&promoid=&w3site=ALLSPEC&w3category=Bench+Top+Matting|Bench+Top+Mat+Kits

I use these mats, ground wire from mat hooks to ground screw on electrical
outlet.
Note: you can probably get other brands cheaper somewhere else.

Craig

>> (3) The trickiest thing with any laptop is that they must be
>> disassembled and reassembled in sequence, and there is no hard-and-fast
>> rule about what comes off or goes back on first.
>
> Agreed! After reading the service manual for my laptop I discovered
> that disassembling the computer to change/upgrade a component is NOT
> an obvious task!
>
>> If your Inspiron is like the one I worked on, you will need to
>> remove ALL the screws on the bottom of the case first, plus the one in
>> back holding the center part of the screen hinge in place. MAKE CAREFUL
>> NOTE of screw length AND HEAD TYPE! Some are countersunk flat-head,
>> where others are pan-head.
>
> Are those screws marked with D (display), P (palmrest assembly)
> and K (keyboard) characters? Just curious, but perhaps this information
> will be useful for the original poster.
>
> Not sure about the palmrest... as this part is easily replaceable
> by end users on Inspiron laptops.
>
>> Carefully separate the case halves, and use equal care when
>> unplugging cables. In most cases, you will need to GENTLY open the
>> pressure latch on the various flex connectors before the flexes will
>> come free. This can be done with a small flat-blade screwdriver of about
>> the same size that you would use on D-sub connector screws.
>
> Those ZIF connector are the worst part of the computer! I do not
> like the flexible connectors too... that is the reason I do not
> like opening my laptop. :-(
>
>> That's about all the advice I can offer without actually being
>> there. If you're still not comfortable after reading the above, or if
>> you do not have access to the proper work environment, you should enlist
>> professional assistance.
>
> Both are nice advices, though.
>
> Good luck with the hardware work!
>
> Igor.

In article <cq9rth$vg$1@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>, igor@no-
spam.on.the.net says...

> Interesting... I have some anti-static wrist straps here, but I do not
> have an anti-static work surface. Any advice on this matter? I never
> damaged an electronic component with a static discharge, but I am
> very interested in any tip on this issue.

Sure! 3M makes an anti-static 'Field Service' kit. It includes,
among other things, a wrist strap, flexible mat that can turn any
hard/flat surface into an anti-stat workbench, and the necessary
grounding cords.

In fact, these are readily available from Specialized Products
(800) 866-5353. Ask about catalog item #606X375. It'll run about $40
plus shipping.

> Are those screws marked with D (display), P (palmrest assembly)
> and K (keyboard) characters? Just curious, but perhaps this information
> will be useful for the original poster.

Yes, they are. You can sort them that way too. Forgot to mention
it...

> Those ZIF connector are the worst part of the computer! I do not
> like the flexible connectors too... that is the reason I do not
> like opening my laptop. :-(

It's a pain, yes, but it can be done safely.

Keep the peace(es).

Craig <nospam_wanted@on_the_net.com> wrote:

> Anti static mats
> http://www.all-spec.com/cgi-bin/fccgi.exe?w3exec=category&promoid=&w3site=ALLSPEC&w3category=Bench+Top+Matting|Bench+Top+Mat+Kits
>
> I use these mats, ground wire from mat hooks to ground screw on electrical
> outlet.
> Note: you can probably get other brands cheaper somewhere else.

Hi Craig.

Thanks a lot for the URL. I will look for one of these mats here.
If I have no luck I will buy one from all-spec.com. Electrons
are small but sometimes more intelligent that users and we must stop
them! :)

Seriously, thanks a lot for the reference.

Cheers,
Igor.

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

> Sure! 3M makes an anti-static 'Field Service' kit. It includes,
> among other things, a wrist strap, flexible mat that can turn any
> hard/flat surface into an anti-stat workbench, and the necessary
> grounding cords.
>
> In fact, these are readily available from Specialized Products
> (800) 866-5353. Ask about catalog item #606X375. It'll run about $40
> plus shipping.

It seems the kit I am looking for. There are some 3Com authorized
dealers. I think that they will be able to get the kit if I provide
them with the catalog item number.

> Yes, they are. You can sort them that way too. Forgot to mention
> it...

If the service manual is not available, the labels on the screws
will be the only reference he will get... a service manual is much
better. That was one of the reasons I got a used Latitude computer
from a dealer at Canada.

>> Those ZIF connector are the worst part of the computer! I do not
>> like the flexible connectors too... that is the reason I do not
>> like opening my laptop. :-(
>
> It's a pain, yes, but it can be done safely.

I hope it so! I never had problems with those ZIF connectors
but do not look sturdy.

> Keep the peace(es).

Thanks, same to you.

Have a very nice day!