Xbox 360 Wireless controller W/charger usb

Whitewolf1371

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hello,
My name is Rip, I have installed all proper drivers required to use the controller, but Joy.cpl isn't picking up the device, and I have it hooked up through the USB charger, do I have to do it wirelessly still even though I get pinged that the USB is being used when I plug in the remote through the USB charger? does it only charge when plugged into the computer this way? these are answers I am looking for but I haven't seen anything but a rather rude post by another individual seeking information who was commented on by this rude person, yes I understand not everyone is computer or tech savvy, but learing should be a shared experience... I could use the help, thanks.

Solution
The controller doesn't upload the drivers. Windows identifies the controller as a wireless xbox 360 controller, and indicates that it has installed it's drivers. The USB controller on the game pad likely does have data lines wired to it, however actual controller data is routed to the wireless chip, rather than USB chip. The USB chip contains data for identifying the device as an xbox360 controller, and is probably responsible for controlling charging of the battery (as you cannot simply wire USB5v directly to a battery without monitoring the battery level and such to prevent overcharging).

It's not exactly what you would expect that a wireless controller cannot also function over a wire, however adding support for two different...
So to be clear on what your trying to do , your wanting to use your X-Box controller on your computer ?
If this is what your trying to do then the correct drivers need to be loaded for the version of Windows that you have. Have you tried using the controller by wireless ? I think that it may only work that way and the usb connection is just for charging. Unless there is an option someplace that will allow you to switch between wireless and wired.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
You will need to buy a wireless dongle for the controller. As far as I know the wireless controllers are only capable of charging over USB, no data is sent. Amazon has wireless XBOX360 controller PC Dongles:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xbox+360+wireless+pc+adapter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Axbox+360+wireless+pc+adapter

Despite what amazon says, I don't think microsoft makes any of these adapters anymore, so they are mostly knockoffs/third-party. Once you get it setup, you don't have to use Joy.cpl unless your game only supports keyboard input. Many games allow you to use the xbox360 controller natively.

The receivers use quite a lot of power, which may be why many people have problems. Using a powered USB hub maybe a good idea.

Whitewolf1371

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Yes, that is what I'm trying to do, and as I mentioned I have the right drivers for Windows 7 home premium. I don't have a wireless adapter other then my Logitech that is for my mouse and key board and it can't register the controller for Xbox either, so I guess the only option I have is to either get an adapter that will pick up on the controller wirelessly, or get a wired Xbox controller and use that, is that what I'm getting out of your comment sir?

Whitewolf1371

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
To djscribbles:

Well if it didn't send or recieve data via the USB charger through the controller then how come it uploaded it's drivers just like any other USB controller would? Example: Auto Driver Update Software: Xbox 360 controller uploads and installs driver software automatically when pluged into USB port, just as a PC gaming controller promts you to do when you plug it in, so if it didn't do Data Transfere at all it wouldn't have promted me to install driver software in the first place if it was just for charging purposes alone...

This is where I'm mixed up at, because yeah I figured I would need some other device to plug into the USB port so I could pick up the controller wirelessly, but I already had the USB charger which does send and recieve data on an Xbox consol while plugged in, but it is seeming that it doesn't send commands or register as activated on the PC I am using...

I guess if it really does only work as a charger then the data recieved from the controller was a driver to allow the controller to charge while plugged into my tower?!? make's no sense...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The controller doesn't upload the drivers. Windows identifies the controller as a wireless xbox 360 controller, and indicates that it has installed it's drivers. The USB controller on the game pad likely does have data lines wired to it, however actual controller data is routed to the wireless chip, rather than USB chip. The USB chip contains data for identifying the device as an xbox360 controller, and is probably responsible for controlling charging of the battery (as you cannot simply wire USB5v directly to a battery without monitoring the battery level and such to prevent overcharging).

It's not exactly what you would expect that a wireless controller cannot also function over a wire, however adding support for two different data paths, and the ability to switch between them automatically, would certainly add cost/complexity to the wireless controller to support playing while wired. It's a tradeoff, selling everyone who wants a wireless controller a more expensive dual mode controller for 10$ more, just so they can use a wireless controller with a wire is equally ridiculous. Selling seperate wireless and dual mode controllers would be confusing, and force the cost of the dual mode controller up even more due to lower volumes.

Many wireless mice provide cables for charging in a similar manner, but do not transmit mouse control data over the wire. Having both wired and wireless capabilities in mice, is a premium feature, and I'm sure it requires additional design considerations. See the data-over-cable advertised here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104377 it is not a normal thing for a wireless mouse to provide the ability to use the wired connection for data.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+you+use+a+wireless+xbox+controller+on+a+pc

Solution

Whitewolf1371

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
That does make sense... unfortunate, but make's sense...

Too bad I can't just write a program manually to do both functions, I mean I probably could if I had the know how, but I certainly lack in many of the area's that would be required to write such a program, oh well...

Thank you djscribbles, your insight was most helpful, I'll have to find a different controller or buy a wired one because Microsoft doesn't make 360 wireless pickup's anymore to convert the wireless controllers for use on the PC, there are generic, but I don't prefer or use many generic anything, I do enjoy state of the art gear as much as the next man.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

No problem, glad to help.

The know-how would be beyond many many people, as it would likely require reverse engineering the controller, modifying the PCB and reprogramming a number of chips on the board; practically impossible imo.

I wouldn't shy away from trying the aftermarket adapters simply because they are aftermarket, I've considered getting one and replacing my wired controller with a wireless one myself. The wire gets more annoying than you would think. (Odds are, the knock-offs use the same hardware as the ones that used to be made by MS, but there wasn't enough money in making them for MS to continue caring about making them; all it is is a custom wifi receiver for the PC that connects to the MS controller)

Worst case scenario, it's junk, but you can return your wireless controller, and get a cheaper wired controller, and apply the extra money you got back towards covering the money you wasted on the adapter :)

Bonch

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I have a problem with wireless controller connected to Windows 8 Notebook. The controller syncs and after a few seconds disconnects, and keeps doing that repeatedly. Anyone knows what could be the problem?