No help/support in Win XP

This is what I wrote to Dell - anybody else had the same problem?

I click on 'help and support' in the start menu - the icon turns to an
hourglass for maybe 1 second - then the icon turns back to normal. But no
help appears.

This is the same problem as described here:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

However, I have tried downloading the fix from that site, and it reports
that the registry settings are ok.

This is for a machine straight out of the box, configured exactly as you
sent it to me. I have bought 4 of these machines, and the problem is the
same on 2 of them. I have not bothered to check the other 2.
17 answers Last reply
More about help support

    A long shot - your not running ToniArts Easy Clean registry cleaner are you?
    That will blow out windows help.
    RJ
    "GB" <ThisIsNotMyEmailAddress@anywhere.intheuniverse> wrote in message
    > This is what I wrote to Dell - anybody else had the same problem?
    >
    > I click on 'help and support' in the start menu - the icon turns to an
    > hourglass for maybe 1 second - then the icon turns back to normal. But no
    > help appears.
    >
    > This is the same problem as described here:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    >
    > However, I have tried downloading the fix from that site, and it reports
    > that the registry settings are ok.
    >
    > This is for a machine straight out of the box, configured exactly as you
    > sent it to me. I have bought 4 of these machines, and the problem is the
    > same on 2 of them. I have not bothered to check the other 2.

    > A long shot - your not running ToniArts Easy Clean registry cleaner are you?
    > That will blow out windows help.

    Interesting - not something i`ve come across before, but I don`t rely on
    windows "help"

    "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > A long shot - your not running ToniArts Easy Clean registry cleaner are
    you?
    > > That will blow out windows help.
    >
    > Interesting - not something i`ve come across before, but I don`t rely on
    > windows "help"

    ditto but extend that sentiment to any MS product.

    Clicking on help in any Office 2003 product kickstarts ZoneAlarm into life
    asking me "do you want to allow Microsoft Excel/Word/Whatever to access the
    internet?"

    Erm, no, I just want to use the built in help files thank you.

    What is it with Mr Gates and his penchant for amassing personal data?

    In what way do you believe accessing help on the Microsoft site amasses
    personal data. Have you not read any of the information about how MS
    products work?

    Tom
    "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > > A long shot - your not running ToniArts Easy Clean registry cleaner
    are
    > you?
    > > > That will blow out windows help.
    > >
    > > Interesting - not something i`ve come across before, but I don`t rely on
    > > windows "help"
    > >

    > ditto but extend that sentiment to any MS product.
    >
    > Clicking on help in any Office 2003 product kickstarts ZoneAlarm into life
    > asking me "do you want to allow Microsoft Excel/Word/Whatever to access
    the
    > internet?"
    >
    > Erm, no, I just want to use the built in help files thank you.
    >
    > What is it with Mr Gates and his penchant for amassing personal data?

    "What is it with Mr Gates and his penchant for amassing personal data?"

    How do you that Microsoft is amassing personal data?

    Rocky

    "R.J. Rabenberg" <rjrabenberg@sio.midco.net> wrote in message
    > A long shot - your not running ToniArts Easy Clean registry cleaner are
    you?
    > That will blow out windows help.
    > RJ

    I've no idea what Dell did or did not run, but this machine is straight out
    of the box.

    > "GB" <ThisIsNotMyEmailAddress@anywhere.intheuniverse> wrote in message
    > > This is what I wrote to Dell - anybody else had the same problem?
    > >
    > > I click on 'help and support' in the start menu - the icon turns to an
    > > hourglass for maybe 1 second - then the icon turns back to normal. But
    no
    > > help appears.
    > >
    > > This is the same problem as described here:
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm
    > >
    > > However, I have tried downloading the fix from that site, and it reports
    > > that the registry settings are ok.
    > >
    > > This is for a machine straight out of the box, configured exactly as you
    > > sent it to me. I have bought 4 of these machines, and the problem is the
    > > same on 2 of them. I have not bothered to check the other 2.

    "GB" <ThisIsNotMyEmailAddress@anywhere.intheuniverse> wrote:

    >I've no idea what Dell did or did not run, but this machine is straight out
    >of the box.

    What is in your C:\Windows\Help folder. Should be a bunch of
    files supporting the "Dell" OEM "Help and Support" menu. Mine
    are mostly dated 8/18/2001, with a large slug of 5/2/2003 files
    [prob WMP 9 update related], and then a bunch of miscellaneous
    dates for things like Indeo, etc. If they're missing, I suspect
    an OS reinstall in your future. But, even if they are there,
    obviously the "shortcut" from the Start Menu entry seems to be
    AFU, which would also require an OS reinstall.

    Alternatively, since they're straight out of the box, check the
    other 2 machines to see if they have the same problem. Then, its
    decision time. Do you reinstall the OSs on the problem machines,
    or do you return them under the 21-day no questions asked policy,
    and either reorder from Dell, or go to Gateway.

    That link, BTW, applied, I suspect, to a purchased Windows OS.
    As part of the OEM agreement, Dell, like Gateway and other major
    computer makers, assumes responsibility for providing Windows
    support, via that Dell-tagged "Help and Support" menu, and the
    90-day post purchase free phone support, and the $29/incident
    phone support after 90 days.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "GB" <ThisIsNotMyEmailAddress@anywhere.intheuniverse> wrote:
    >
    > >I've no idea what Dell did or did not run, but this machine is straight
    out
    > >of the box.
    >
    > What is in your C:\Windows\Help folder. Should be a bunch of
    > files supporting the "Dell" OEM "Help and Support" menu. Mine
    > are mostly dated 8/18/2001, with a large slug of 5/2/2003 files
    > [prob WMP 9 update related], and then a bunch of miscellaneous
    > dates for things like Indeo, etc. If they're missing, I suspect
    > an OS reinstall in your future. But, even if they are there,
    > obviously the "shortcut" from the Start Menu entry seems to be
    > AFU, which would also require an OS reinstall.
    >
    > Alternatively, since they're straight out of the box, check the
    > other 2 machines to see if they have the same problem. Then, its
    > decision time. Do you reinstall the OSs on the problem machines,
    > or do you return them under the 21-day no questions asked policy,
    > and either reorder from Dell, or go to Gateway.
    >
    > That link, BTW, applied, I suspect, to a purchased Windows OS.
    > As part of the OEM agreement, Dell, like Gateway and other major
    > computer makers, assumes responsibility for providing Windows
    > support, via that Dell-tagged "Help and Support" menu, and the
    > 90-day post purchase free phone support, and the $29/incident
    > phone support after 90 days.
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    I don't particularly want to return the PCs, particularly as I would be
    liable for carriage under the UK terms and conditions. I want Dell to honour
    their warranty. Unfortunately, I foresee trouble getting them to do that.

    It's daft. These are standard machines in a standard configuration. Dell
    should ship them in working order.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > "What is it with Mr Gates and his penchant for amassing personal data?"
    >
    > How do you that Microsoft is amassing personal data?
    >
    > Rocky

    If you'd care to rephrase your question into something that is remotely
    understandable then I'll happily answer.

    To Tom: yes, I've read the MS bullshit about collection of personal data and
    I don't believe a word of it. Please don't tell me that as well as being a
    Dell worshipper that you believe Billy Gates is God?

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > "What is it with Mr Gates and his penchant for amassing personal data?"
    > >
    > > How do you that Microsoft is amassing personal data?
    > >
    > > Rocky
    >
    > If you'd care to rephrase your question into something that is remotely
    > understandable then I'll happily answer.
    >
    > To Tom: yes, I've read the MS bullshit about collection of personal data
    and
    > I don't believe a word of it. Please don't tell me that as well as being
    > Dell worshipper that you believe Billy Gates is God?

    Well doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the meaning of the message
    with the typo, and you missed the point on Tom's as well. He did not ask if
    you read about collection of personal data, only about how MS products work.
    You do realize that without any need to transmit data over a network
    components still talk to each other through RPC and such and many firewalls
    will block this communication. So, just because ZA prompted you hardly means
    that Bill was after your much needed banking information.

    Another troll...<yawn>...PLONK

    Rocky

    "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > "What is it with Mr Gates and his penchant for amassing personal data?"
    > >
    > > How do you that Microsoft is amassing personal data?
    > >
    > > Rocky
    >
    > If you'd care to rephrase your question into something that is remotely
    > understandable then I'll happily answer.
    >
    > To Tom: yes, I've read the MS bullshit about collection of personal data
    and
    > I don't believe a word of it. Please don't tell me that as well as being
    > Dell worshipper that you believe Billy Gates is God?

    Thought we got rid of all the jerks in this group? Guess not. This guy is
    probably one of our past friends hiding behind a new alias.

    "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > To Tom: yes, I've read the MS bullshit about collection of personal data
    and
    > I don't believe a word of it. Please don't tell me that as well as being
    > Dell worshipper that you believe Billy Gates is God?

    You and squirrel face are still here so obviously there are jerks are still
    around!

    > Thought we got rid of all the jerks in this group? Guess not. This guy
    is
    > probably one of our past friends hiding behind a new alias.
    >
    > "Glenn Banwell" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >
    > > To Tom: yes, I've read the MS bullshit about collection of personal data
    > and
    > > I don't believe a word of it. Please don't tell me that as well as
    being
    > > Dell worshipper that you believe Billy Gates is God?

    I missed the personal attack post.

    I do not believe MS is collecting personal information. They are under too
    much scrutiny by the Justice department. There would be no value in doing
    so.

    Tom

    > Another troll...<yawn>...PLONK

    Outstanding................another example of how the pro-Dell members of
    this ng label as a troll anyone who dares to deviate from the party line.

    And you wonder why you've got the President you have.

    > Thought we got rid of all the jerks in this group? Guess not. This guy
    is
    > probably one of our past friends hiding behind a new alias.

    Ah, a Hotmail account user.

    <plonk>

    It really hurts when a loser troll <plonks> me!

    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thought we got rid of all the jerks in this group? Guess not. This guy
    > is
    > > probably one of our past friends hiding behind a new alias.
    > >

    > Ah, a Hotmail account user.
    >
    > <plonk>

Dell Support Windows XP Computers