MN-700 Dropping Adapters (MN-730)

I have installed a wireless network using an MN-700 and 8
MN-730 adapters (six of which are within 20 feet or less
of the base station). I have installed the 2.2 update to
all the adapters as well as the firmware update to the MN-
700. However, the adapters will still drop after
initially connecting (approximately at refresh time, 15
minutes). When they do drop there is a message in the
MBNU that there is an Incorrect Security Key (even though
they were connected just a few minutes prior). If I reset
the base station (power off/on) the adapters will
reconnect. The 2.2 update seemed to help with overall
connections (ie. all adapters would connect vs. 1 or 2
before dropping) but I am still in need of further
guidance/assistance.

All PC's are running XP (SP1) with the WPA update KB826942
and the 2.2 update. I am also running WPA-TKIP security.

Are there any specific XP updates that I should have?

I also noticed in numerous pieces of documentation that I
should disable IEEE 802.1x authentication and if the check
box is not available then I am not using 802.1x
authentication or wireless security. However, as I
mentioned, I am using WPA-TKIP level security. Is this a
possible security/setup problem?

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...Gary
1 answer Last reply
More about dropping adapters

    Check power management settings in adapter settings and don't allow
    the computer to turn off the adapter to save power.

    Also--

    I'd recommend installing XP SP2. With 8 computers, you should get the
    network install of SP2 from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

    Apply it to one of the computers and see if your issues are resolved.
    Then burn to CD and install to the others.

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:49:15 -0700, "Gary Kmetz"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Networking