Best CPU+Mobo combo?

What would you say is currently the best CPU+Motherboard combo out there for gaming, long-term? I've heard accolades for NForce chipsets and the Barton 2500+, mainly.

Not necessarily the top performer, but the best buy for someone with a budget of about $1800 (including monitor).

Gaming PC in progress, suggestions welcome :)
12 answers Last reply
More about best mobo combo
  1. i would recomend the 8rda+ and the nf7-s

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
  2. asus p4p800 865p & p4 2.6c ghz

<font color=blue>
    My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
    It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
    <font color=blue>
  3. erm...intel does not make the barton 2500...

4. Budget of $1800, including monitor? Abit IS7 and a P4 2.6C would be a good place to start.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  5. i think you mean 865pe, as they are extremely different. And also, p3man, what does intel making bartons have to do with this?
  6. he asked what would be the best mobo for a barton 2500...

he did not mention wanting to go with an 865 and a p4...

7. He wants to spend $1800 why not give him info on Intel based system.
  8. Is7 + 2.4C/2.6C

P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
    Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
    Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
    GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
    Seagate Barracuda 7220.7 80GB SATA
  9. How many case fans are you using? What size Psu?
  10. Actually he asked what the best mobo/cpu combo for gaming was. He then stated that a friend had recommended the barton. He didn't directly come out and state that he wanted an AMD setup or Intel setup...

<font color=blue> Ok, so you have to put your "2 cents" in, but its value is only "A penny's worth". Who gets that extra penny? </font color=blue>
  11. Thats easy give it to poopy. He needs it for his next intel he is buying.
  12. I'd like to second jmecor with the asus p4p800 865pE & p4 2.6c ghz altough if you're spending 1800 you could easily get the 2.8 or higher, especialy if you wait a little while when intel drops prices, if you don't like that I'd say go with the abit, but for that kind of $ intel will get you better preformance
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Monitors Chipsets