No Support

Robert

Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?

I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.

I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.

Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
but had no idea what a DVI cable is.

I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke with
were not computer savvy.

One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
at all.

Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.

Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
bought a cables from Best Buy.

Rocket

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001

> Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
> but had no idea what a DVI cable is.

I'm sure that's right!

> I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
> with were not computer savvy.

I'm sure that's right also! (probably spoke with an accent too, huh?)

> One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
> about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
> cables at all.

Heh-heh... no comment required!

> Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
> purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
> X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.

Possibly... but every system and/or monitor that I've purchased from Gateway
in the past 3 years has arrived with both VGA & DVI cables included.

> Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
> bought a cables from Best Buy.

So... if Gateway is, indeed, saving money by sending analog cables only with
new system purchases, didn't you enabled them to continue that practice when
you caved-in and bought one?
What's the issue?
--
Rocket

Robert

Rocket, you are so right.... I did cave.

But after being on the phone sooooo long I decided that their was no
intelligent life on the other end.

Maybe that's their plan, wear you out by giving you the run around for hours
on end until you finally concede defeat.

I even spoke to people in a department called "Complaint Resoltion" who
could not help and routed me somewhere else.

This was my sixth Gateway system and the first of the last two to not
include a DVI cable.

You were also right when you say they all had accents.

The accents make communications very difficult because you have to ask them
to repeat themselves constantly.

- Robert

"Rocket" <rocket@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
>> but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
>
> I'm sure that's right!
>
>> I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
>> with were not computer savvy.
>
> I'm sure that's right also! (probably spoke with an accent too, huh?)
>
>> One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
>> about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
>> cables at all.
>
> Heh-heh... no comment required!
>
>> Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
>> purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
>> X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
>
> Possibly... but every system and/or monitor that I've purchased from
> Gateway in the past 3 years has arrived with both VGA & DVI cables
> included.
>
>> Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
>> bought a cables from Best Buy.
>
> So... if Gateway is, indeed, saving money by sending analog cables only
> with new system purchases, didn't you enabled them to continue that
> practice when you caved-in and bought one?
> What's the issue?
> --
> Rocket

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I bought a 710XL system a few months ago with the same monitor, and no
DV cable came either, I am pretty sure they dont include it. I bought
one, and really, I cannot see any difference.

Bob

"Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?
>
>I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
>found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
>
>I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
>people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
>
>Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
>but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
>
>I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke with
>were not computer savvy.
>
>One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
>about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
>at all.
>
>Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
>purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
>X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
>
>Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
>bought a cables from Best Buy.

Scott

Robert wrote:

> Wondering if someone can answer a simple question for me?
>
> I just purchased a new 7200XL system with all the bells and whistles and
> found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
>
> I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
> people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
>
> Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
> but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
>
> I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke with
> were not computer savvy.
>
> One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
> about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
> at all.
>
> Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
> purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
> X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
>
> Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and
> bought a cables from Best Buy.

Robert,

My 700X with the FPD1810 (18" LCD) monitor was purchased 3 years ago, and
it came with both an analog and DVI cable. I've only used the DVI cable.

Scott

Je

When I got my first 710XL, both cables were included. Support is a
mis-nomer with the new Gateway.

Here is what happened with my second 710XL. Was supposed to have WinXP Home
Edition. It was loaded okay, but the restore disk was for Professional. So
I contacted "support" and here is how it went:

Person 1 & 2: had no idea what an operating system restore disk or
operating system was.
Person 3: your unit is to old and Gateway updates their operating system
disks all the time and there isn't one available for your machine....you
need to buy a new operating system.
Person 4: go to this link, blah, blah, blah and download the drivers you
need. That makes an operating system?!?!?!?! There is not an operating
system any longer for that old of a unit.
Person 5: someone must have taken it out of the box and replaced it with
the Professional version.
Person 6 at Corporate Headquarters: They found a copy avialable. Mailed it
overnight to me. No Certificate of Authenticity to stick on the side of the
unit showing it was legal.

I give up!!!!!

"Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]

> found that the FPD1940 monitor did not have a DVI cable when it arrived.
>
> I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
> people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
>
> Each person I spoke to offered to send me cables for my DVD player/burner
> but had no idea what a DVI cable is.
>
> I got the impression that everyone of the "Tech Support" people I spoke
> with were not computer savvy.
>
> One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
> about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
> cables at all.
>
> Is Gateway saving money by send analog cables only with new system
> purchases? Doesn't make much since to use an analog cable with a Radeon
> X800 XT Pro card and a digital monitor.
>
> Anyway, after 1 hour and forty minutes on the phone I finally hung up and

sk

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:11:46 -0800, "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9) different
>people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.

That's because you don't speak their outsourced language. For a
nominal fee, gateway offers a crash course in the Indian Dialect so
you can converse with their outsourced, bargain basement, third world
tech support.

>One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was talking
>about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no cables
>at all.

Yep, just open the case up and look inside and there its is, your
monitor stuck right there on the MB. You got to get up real early in
the morning to get one past New Delhi/Gateway support.

SK

SK wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:11:46 -0800, "Robert"
<rldearmond@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I called Gateway support and after speaking with nine (yes 9)
different
> >people I still do not know whether I was shorted a cable or not.
>
> That's because you don't speak their outsourced language. For a
> nominal fee, gateway offers a crash course in the Indian Dialect so
> you can converse with their outsourced, bargain basement, third world
> tech support.
>
> >One person even went so far as to say I did not know what I was
talking
> >about because my system had an "integrated" monitor that required no
cables
> >at all.
>
> Yep, just open the case up and look inside and there its is, your
> monitor stuck right there on the MB. You got to get up real early in
> the morning to get one past New Delhi/Gateway support.
>
> SK

Early in 2004, just before pulling the plug on the Country Stores,
Gateway decided to not include the DVI cable. Those purchasing systems
before that time did indeed receive both cables. Todays systems do not
include the cable. Most people do not receive a significant
improvement by using the digital output. Also, sadly, not all systems
have the dual output to support the monitor. All the more reason to
check this forum often. Support is more intelligent here.

KsmithIA@msn.com wrote:(snip)

[Are you from Iowa or do you hold an Inspection Authorization?? ;-)]

There is still a two tier support with gateway for Business and
Consumer support. Business Support can be reached at 877-485-1464 and
is available to businesses only. You are a business if you say you are
a business. If they ask what kind, in default of any other answer, tell
them you are an AmwayQuixtarAlticor (pick one) distributor. You are,
maybe you just haven't sent in your BSMAA yet...

This will get you someone in Ft.Lauderdale, who has not been with the
company very long and is almost always a non-native speaker of English,
nevertheless they are in the United States.

If you fail to take this step you have no one but yourself to blame
for the results, or lack thereof, in resolving your problem. Your
chances go from none to slim at this point.