XP Pro Hangs and Drops DSL Connect When Idle

August 25, 2005 4:02:25 PM

Windows XP Pro SP2
Hibertation - OFF
Screen Saver - OFF
Set to Always On

When my computer is idle for 1/2 hour or so it will hang and go into a
hibernatoin-like mode (even though that option is turned off).

I have to the hold down the on/off button and restart my laptop.

The real problem is it wont stay up long enough for a full Ghost backup cycle.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
August 25, 2005 4:18:34 PM

While you set the stuff as you wanted it in Windows did you check the BIOS
settings? Sounds like it could be the BIOS overriding the OS.

"Sounder" <Sounder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Hibertation - OFF
> Screen Saver - OFF
> Set to Always On
>
> When my computer is idle for 1/2 hour or so it will hang and go into a
> hibernatoin-like mode (even though that option is turned off).
>
> I have to the hold down the on/off button and restart my laptop.
>
> The real problem is it wont stay up long enough for a full Ghost backup
> cycle.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:34:07 PM

I have not check the bios settings. Any suggestions on what to look for and
what the appropriate settings "should" be??

"Jerry" wrote:

> While you set the stuff as you wanted it in Windows did you check the BIOS
> settings? Sounds like it could be the BIOS overriding the OS.
>
> "Sounder" <Sounder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP Pro SP2
> > Hibertation - OFF
> > Screen Saver - OFF
> > Set to Always On
> >
> > When my computer is idle for 1/2 hour or so it will hang and go into a
> > hibernatoin-like mode (even though that option is turned off).
> >
> > I have to the hold down the on/off button and restart my laptop.
> >
> > The real problem is it wont stay up long enough for a full Ghost backup
> > cycle.
> >
> > Any suggestions??
> >
> > Thanks!

August 25, 2005 7:39:28 PM

Most notebooks have Dual power savings options in the Power
applet in Control Panel. One for AC outlet and another for the
battery power. Check the settings and make sure that neither is
set for system standby, which is different from Hibernate.

>I have not check the bios settings. Any suggestions on what to look for
>and
> what the appropriate settings "should" be??
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> While you set the stuff as you wanted it in Windows did you check the
>> BIOS
>> settings? Sounds like it could be the BIOS overriding the OS.
>>
>> "Sounder" <Sounder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Windows XP Pro SP2
>> > Hibertation - OFF
>> > Screen Saver - OFF
>> > Set to Always On
>> >
>> > When my computer is idle for 1/2 hour or so it will hang and go into a
>> > hibernatoin-like mode (even though that option is turned off).
>> >
>> > I have to the hold down the on/off button and restart my laptop.
>> >
>> > The real problem is it wont stay up long enough for a full Ghost backup
>> > cycle.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions??
>> >
>> > Thanks!

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:52:01 AM

Have you turned off powersaving opion in the bios?

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman

!