Sign in with
Your question

Need .net4 to use catalyst control centre?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 6, 2012 5:40:25 PM

hi all,
so recently i re installed my ati graphics drivers but now to start up the catalyst control manager i need to install .net framework 4 for it to run ... now that would be easy enough to install but whenever i try to install the .net 4 it gives me the error message "the specified service does not exist as an installed service" now normally the catalyst control center wouldn't bother me but i need it to activate my crossfire . so please help me install the .net 4

i5 3450
ga-p67-ud3-b3
6 GB of ram
2x HD 6870
hiper 880watt
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 6:27:46 PM

are your windows updates current?
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 6:30:26 PM

I think there is one particular .net installer that isn't what it sounds like it is. Try each of these links:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

If you have windows7, I believe .net4.0 is included, and may only need to be updated via windows update. (when I last installed Windows7 with SP1, I didn't need to install any .net stuff to install my drivers and have them work properly, and these were the newer amd ones labeled as .net).

Related resources
November 6, 2012 6:37:49 PM

well it windows hasnt done any updates is agesss and when i try to serch for updates it says the update service isnt running ??
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 6:47:52 PM

I would assume you've got more significant problems than your driver then. You should at least run some virus scans, but I would consider reformatting.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 7:01:53 PM

that the update service and get install all the update, then run antivirus/antimalware scan, then try the .net 4.0 install.
November 6, 2012 7:03:59 PM

reformatting is really a very very very last resort for me
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 7:27:02 PM

your os is a legal copy of windows try to load the update manualy in the control panel using windows update and then choose custom install
November 6, 2012 7:30:23 PM

yeah it is and i tried that but just to make sure could you please tell me how to do that
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 7:45:28 PM

open the control panel then windows update after press search for update and when it will suggest you the update choose the custom install after check the box for the one you want to install first
November 6, 2012 7:46:46 PM

right so i was doing the right thing but when i pressed the button it said windows could not update because the update service is not running :( 
November 6, 2012 7:56:19 PM

i have tried that but the windows update is never there i tried many times to look for it ... im thinking thats the problem
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 8:08:12 PM

does internet explorer work ? or are you running something else and you told it to be your main provider ?........... search for internet explorer an reinstall....... ??
November 6, 2012 8:22:46 PM

i have tried everything suggested on that forum and i dont see what internet explorer has to do with it ?
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 9:30:58 PM

you need netframework for games and other things to run.

can you or can you not connect to internet explorer ?
November 7, 2012 5:09:06 PM

yeah i gathered and yes i can connect to it
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 5:21:15 PM

rudi95 said:
yeah i gathered and yes i can connect to it

I think he asked so that he could tell you to use the WEB Installer version from HERE instead of trying to use the windows update version !
November 7, 2012 5:26:45 PM

"rolling back .net framework 4 client" this was displayed before it was even finished downloading the files and then it gave me the same error as always :( 
November 7, 2012 5:36:36 PM

im pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that my windows update service doesnt start and wont appear in services.msc
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 5:39:29 PM

rudi95 said:
im pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that my windows update service doesnt start and wont appear in services.msc

Shouldn't matter -- the links provided are direct downloads of the specific installer for the .net framework - either web based or stand alone (for those systems without internet) so should install without the update service running !
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 5:40:01 PM

What OS are you running?

Have you done anything non-standard to your install? (moving or modifying system files/folders, modifying or cleaning your registry, serious malware infection, etc).

When did the problem with microsoft updates begin, and how long has this copy of windows been installed?

Frankly it sounds as if you're windows install is in a really bad state to me, I still think your easiest solution would be either an in-place reinstall of windows or a format and reinstall. (either way, you should backup your personal files to an external drive). Either that, or you're on Windows XP SP2, which has reached the end of it's supported life.
November 7, 2012 5:44:52 PM

im running windows 7 been installed for about 3 years now and i havent made any changes as far as i am aware
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 5:46:56 PM

Microsoft has released a tool to repair the .net framework that might provide some help in repairing the install problem -- GO here and download and run the tool and see if it can find the problem !
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 5:53:24 PM

uninstall internet explorer. reinstall internet explorer.
November 7, 2012 6:49:57 PM

well i bit the bullet and just did a fresh re install because i was getting fed up with disappointing fixes but non the less thank you very much for all your help it is much appreciated
ps. my problem is now fixed :D 

now just to re install everything
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 7:09:16 PM

guess it wouldn't do any good to suggest a repair install then huh ?
November 7, 2012 7:14:28 PM

nah i didnt bother i thought if im gonna do it i might as well go the whole way ...
!