I'm stuck with a PII.

FansyBread

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
I don't have much money, and I'm at a crisis-I need a new computer.

Here's my system right now: PII 400mhz, 60gb 7200rpm hd (unusable because of old BIOS, I was unable to flash my BIOS), Soundblaster Live!, Firewire card, ethernet card, 40x cd-rom, Win98SE, Radeon 7000 32mb, and an old 10gb hard drive I'm having to make do with.

My iPod (birthday present) doesnt play with Win98 well, and... well, my computer is old. So I thought maybe I could buy a 20gb hard drive (hope this size hd would work), winxp (run it it like it's win2000), and microsoft works 2003. I'm a student, and I don't play many games during winter, maybe the occasional Age of Empires 2 or Red Alert 2. The new operating system would allow my iPod to work, and the Microsoft Works would definately be nice for the new school year (I have Word97). Would all of this work? That's about $200 worth of upgrades, and I don't want to go much higher than that. I figured I could hold-out until summer for some new hardware.

Just asking so that I don't dig myself a deeper whole, nickling and dime-ing myself to death. I thought this might be a good way to slowly step up without a big investment.

Thoughts and suggestions, please! Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use your 60GB drive by installing a simple bootable IDE controller card, PCI-IDE controllers cost as little as $25.

Then you can think about updating your CPU.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>