Prevent Users from entering Foreign Language Character

I have an application that I am working on that has a failure that I am
trying to troubleshoot. The problem is that users are entering French
characters into the application and this is causing a problem in the
backend. The users are entering chars such as 'è' by pressing
Alt+0232.

My problem is that I cannot modify the application code and must handle
this at the OS level or other way without modifying the application.
Anyone know how to possibly re-map ALT+0232 to another char such as an
ordinary 'e' ???
2 answers Last reply
More about prevent users entering foreign language character

    Well the application could do this however I am looking for a solution
    that will be application independent. I should have specified this in
    the beginning but there will be cases of COTS products that interact
    with the same underlying system and we will not be able to modify code
    in the COTS product. This in a closed system where we override the
    windows shell with a custom shell so we know the limited number of
    applications that users can access.

    I just can help but thing that there has to be a way to do this. There
    has to be an resource file of some sort that map key codes to specific
    keys.

    On 25 Aug 2005 12:42:03 -0700, johnboles@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have an application that I am working on that has a failure that I am
    >trying to troubleshoot. The problem is that users are entering French
    >characters into the application and this is causing a problem in the
    >backend. The users are entering chars such as 'è' by pressing
    >Alt+0232.
    >
    >My problem is that I cannot modify the application code and must handle
    >this at the OS level or other way without modifying the application.
    >Anyone know how to possibly re-map ALT+0232 to another char such as an
    >ordinary 'e' ???

    I don't think there's a way to do this -- character entry is a
    pretty low level function. It's a pretty p***-poor application that
    can't validate its own input, but if yo truly can't get it fixed
    then I fear user education is your only solution, however imperfect.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."

Microsoft Windows XP