Intel document confirms Prescott dissipates 103 W

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
PESKY 90nm process:

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11092" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11092</A>

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
that might be what they're clocking it at for the early production models, but explain to me why over several months they can't refine there process and reduce heat to increase clock speeds?

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
It seems that a lot of the first products to hit the market have their little issues in the beginning. The real test of Prescott will be next year. Give Intel a few more months of refining the 90nm process and new steppings for Prescott and that chip will likely be awesome.

Take A64 for example, when it is finally launched it will be primarily with single channel memory. This version will not likely put up much competition, but that doesn't mean later versions next year won't perform better.

<font color=white>---</font color=white>
Wanted: Large breasted live-in housekeeper. Must be a good cook, organized, and willing to pick up after me.

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
2.8ghz,3.0ghz,3.6ghz in january 2004
4.4ghz max out in december 2004

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
it's from other site, Ground Zero i think.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>

eden

Champion
I guarantee you AMD will suffer worse with transitioning.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.

eden

Champion
What the heck are you even posting about?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I guarantee you AMD will suffer worse with transitioning.
There is no way you can say that for sure. You can guess, and ONLY guess, no facts can lead you to a statement like that. And correct me if I am wrong but during the last few weeks/months you have made a couple of guesses about AMD (and Intel) that turned out to be wrong.

Anyway, my point is .. how can you come to a post that is talking about Intel and Prescott, and the only thing you post is "I guarantee you AMD will suffer worse with transitioning"? Talk about Intel, talk about the issues they are having, and leave AMD out of this! Maybe you could mention it of course after doing all the things above but to me, this is getting a little bit annoying. In every post there is, where Intel or AMD is mentioned, you are always there to backup Intel with everything you have. I really can't understand this. Sure, it's your right but they way you do it is becoming a little bit annoying for me.

In everything 'The Inquirer' posts for example, that is bad for Intel you say "that's just a rumour, it's bullshit". But the thing is, a rumour can either be invalid, or valid. Did you ever think of that? I really believe after all the info that got out lately that Intel IS having trouble with Prescott and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a CPU that dissipates 103W, no matter how fast it is!!!

Anyway, I am sure you won't agree with me but this was something I felt saying.

eden

Champion
In everything 'The Inquirer' posts for example, that is bad for Intel you say "that's just a rumour, it's bullshit".
Quote me right now.

I really believe after all the info that got out lately that Intel IS having trouble with Prescott
Sure I had doubts about how true this is, but since it's become so widely heard, I believe it will happen. Especially when they said "Intel confirms with documents".

where Intel or AMD is mentioned, you are always there to backup Intel with everything you have.
Only, and ONLY an AMD fanboy would take the tree for the forest like that and make me out to be some pro-Intel dude. Furthermore have you read my little concession in the AMD Shares up thread?

You can guess, and ONLY guess, no facts can lead you to a statement like that.
I AM guessing, and with certainty in fact. Everytime AMD transitions, they get more problems than Intel, and it's to be expected. They have a weaker chip, and only one fab to try the job. You either succeed or you don't and have to try again.

you have made a couple of guesses about AMD (and Intel) that turned out to be wrong.
So I couldn't predict, sue me.
Sure, it's your right but they way you do it is becoming a little bit annoying for me.
And again, only an AMD fanboy would see it that way. Try Pope for size dude.

Talk about Intel, talk about the issues they are having, and leave AMD out of this!
You can't tell no one what to say here. I know this place for almost 2 years, I have been here and know this place by heart, for almost 2 years, and have above 10000 posts of experience (not to show off), I KNOW how this place functions, and what you're saying here is illogical, irrational and nonsense.

At best, you're angry because I said that, when it is a given at the very least AMD will have troubles. Would you try your guns at this?
And btw, JMECOR posted news about Intel having trouble, and I answered him back that AMD will do so as well, and very likely in fact run into more troubles. If I am wrong, then so be it, I'll concede like I concede to anything I am wrong to.
EDIT: Replaced Pope with Jme, my bad.
--
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 08/20/03 02:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
What exactly do you mean, mr. RCJ?

--

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I am too bored to open a discussion about this with you. I could easily sit here, copy one by one every phrase you typed and reply to it. No point in doing so though! But you did made an interesting point:

You can't tell no one what to say here
Then what's all the fuss with <b>popegoldx</b> for? He has been saying whatever he wants! I don't see why you can do so and he can't. Your points are no more valid than his most of the time anyway!

Of course this has nothing to do with the point of my initial post but I thought it was kind of funny you said that.

eden

Champion
Your points are no more valid than his most of the time anyway!
You're using your inexperience and time in this forum to judge me? That's laughable.
And I won't even waste my time trying to prove you I contribute, because there's no honor in trying to prove fanbois who judge.

I could easily sit here, copy one by one every phrase you typed and reply to it.
If you're too bored that means you got nothing to do, so get on it!

Of course this has nothing to do with the point of my initial post
Again I WAS on topic. I was pointing out the likely chance of AMD having 0.09m troubles.
I even went pointing out my post in another thread. But hey, you don't listen do you?

--

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
You're using your inexperience and time in this forum to judge me? That's laughable.
And I won't even waste my time trying to prove you I contribute, because there's no honor in trying to prove fanbois who judge.
Hm .. that was your reply to the comment I made, that some of your points are not valid? During the last few weeks you keep making statements like Prescott is going to be a hell of a processor or A64 is going to be a flop or There is no way Intel is having heat issues with Prescott, that's just roumors or It's 100000% sure that AMD is going to run into a lot of trouble with the 0.09m conversion and so on. No proof, no links, no facts, no nothing. That's "no valid" for me. At least, that's what <b>you</b> request from others when they say something, proof and facts ... you should maybe follow your advice too!

Btw, from my very first reply to you, you called me an AMD fanboy. Call me a Cyrix fanboy too for all I care! But using that logic, I guess that this surely makes you an Intel fanboy.

And I won't even waste my time trying to prove you I contribute ...
Where did I say that you don't? I saw something that annoyed me in your last few posts and I said it. There is no reason getting so emotional about this!!!!

eden

Champion
I guess that this surely makes you an Intel fanboy.
Naw, it wouldn't.
I've commented lately a lot about AMD, good stuff, and own an AMD, proudly.

making statements like Prescott is going to be a hell of a processor
That's because it WILL. It's a logical processor evolution. There is no IPC stripped, it's not a new core, it's like a clock speed boost, natural and proven to work right. (under regular silicon conditions)
Prescott will have added cache, will boast an expanded Trace Cache (although how effective it will be is questionable due to limited per-clock dispatching), will have an even better HT (which I already like a lot), will have PNI for better multimedia and finally an increased clock. Just where do you see it flipping out, and my comment being invalid?
A64 has a damn powerful weapon, the ODMC, but what else? SS2? It only brings it to compete, but does not arm it any further. You just gave the disadvantaged warrior the same blade as the enemy, doesn't make you stronger than him if you don't have something else to back that weapon up. If they add more SSE2 registers, expand the instruction set, then yeah, I'd say A64 has a lot to give.
But as of now, its advancements are relatively not as interesting. (cache is likely not gonna yeild a lot of performance as well, consider Barton's effect of cache doubling) I sure hope AMD can add some components, but no roadmap has revealed that yet. It's all about the transition now.

BTW saying Prescott'll be a hell of processor does not mean its heat output will be as well man. I am speaking technically-wise on the core design itself.

A64 is going to be a flop
Considering Opteron at 2GHZ is not enough, and that a few weeks ago 2GHZ was the projected speed, you've not made a case to accuse me of being wrong for my statement.
Heck, why did you not jump at the respected Crashman, who also said back then AMD will fall soon?

There is no way Intel is having heat issues with Prescott
Again back then, it was like the Prescott compatibility issue, all rumors. Then, you combine the facts of what a process transition does and the advancements Intel had introduced to 0.09m, it's of no surprise to myself that we would doubt this. So it's real now, I was wrong, sue me!

It's 100000% sure that AMD is going to run into a lot of trouble with the 0.09m conversion and so on.
I don't need proof on that one, I am projecting, and with certainty. I still believe it will, and trust me, it is likely. I finally had another person who agreed, in another thread here.

At least, that's what you request from others when they say something
You have partially a point, because most often those people are those who made the thread, so they should at least back what they're trying to say. The rest is commentary which some like me will do, ya know.
you called me an AMD fanboy.
In almost every thing I said, you always jumped at me and defended AMD so much. Don't you get it already? I've nothing against them, I support both AMD and Intel equally. What, you want me to say "GO AMD, GO PR THE LIVING HELL OUT OF US" when they had released all those crap processors recently? Or how they gave this blind PR of 3400+ given to a way too low clock speed?

There is no reason getting so emotional about this!!!!
I'm not, I haven't insulted you or anything. I am agressive by nature when I argument and I like seeing how some are quick to judge me, so I give them back what they deserve, an agressive debate.

--
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 08/20/03 06:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Conclusion:

Until Intel reduces the heat disipation I will not be able to buy their product. My AMD 1 Ghz Tbird dissipates enough heat to make my room an oven. And it's only <b>54.5W</b>.

Hopefully by the time they're at 4Ghz they'll have sorted through this.

<A HREF="http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html" target="_new">http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 08/20/03 05:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>