8-core i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x08

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi all,
I've been told by someone that they can build me an 8-core i7 notebook with dual (SLI) 285M GPUs... is this possible? I've not been able to find any information on 8-core i7s apart from rumours - not even on Intel's site.

x08

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I'm just asking this as I don't want to put down a deposit on something I'm not sure is possible. This guy came recommended to me as someone to build custom notebooks (I'm capable of desktops myself, but not the notebooks)... but not finding any solid info on his suggested CPU is bothering me a little.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Yes 8 logical core, but not 8 physical core
Please provide the i7 model number as well can know what is inside
and don't get gtx 285M for laptops, is just a re-badge for G92 GPU which is the core for 8800GT/9800GT/9800GTX
Since is a custom laptop, ask him to throw in a 58xx series GPU, that would kick the 285M onto the ceiling

x08

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Unfortunately and I dare to say it, I prefer NVidia over ATI (as well as my main software having issues with ATI cards)... and Intel over AMD. I don't think he's building it completely from scratch, as he turned down one of the specs I requested (I wanted it to be a tablet-like touch screen, too).

With that in mind, the 285M SLI dual is the best GPU setup I've seen mentioned on notebook check. My desktop currently has a 9800GT.... so the dual 285Ms will be more than I have now - rebadge or not... and the 9800 handles all my needs for the moment without breaking a sweat.

I've asked him for a properly detailed quote with component details, and he said he would put one together - so I will post that once he does.

x08

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well, I am infuriated... I will be heading to our big computer superstore-market place on Thursday to look for someone to build it there.

This is the email I just got....
Couple things.

1.) There are no laptops with dual external monitor capability.

2.) To be honest the fastest laptops out there just aren't that fast. Because they have to make everything super small to get it in the frame of the machine you compromise on performance. My honest opinion of laptops is they are all garbage. Maybe in a few more years they will be able to offer the kind of performance I can't live without. But at present they are all still pretty much junk. especially for gaming and graphics and video work. They are about as useful as a regular old paper and pen Notebook.

3.) My personal recommendation which I think would blow your mind and really make you happy is to get a rockin i7 desktop with all the specs you want;

i7 8 core
8Gigs RAM
Terabyte hardrive
Dual monitor ready
wireless keyboard and mouse
26" monitor - 1200p
55,000nt

and also get a portable netbook or use your existing laptop for on the road stuff.

But if you are really stuck on the laptop idea then my best recommendation and I really think this is the best performance value is this

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dydwfn6&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=laptop-studio-xps-16

The above computer is an awesome computer and the pice can't be beat locally. You can order it online and have it delivered to your home.

Those are my thoughts

I never asked for dual monitors.. I asked for dual 285M using SLI... pushing me to get a desktop even though I specifically told him I wanted a notebook and for what reasons...

I had also popped him a quick e-mail asking if the 8-core was logical or physical... his response:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i7

It's a totally different architecture. 4 physical cores with 4 hyper threaded cores. I have 2 at home. I love them and won't use anything else. They make quad cores look like something from the 80s. Most laptops come with the i7 720QM or 820QM

This guy is clearly a dud.

Thank you all for your advice, and I'll be sure to take a look at the other badges, especially Clevo.

x08

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
there's apparently an additional reply to this that I can't see? *pokes the email*

anyways... thanks for your advice all.... am going for an ASUS G73JH .... it's not NVidia, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.