jka

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2005

My prompt goes away after I hit enter. Say I type ping yahhoo.com the whole
command window closes?
--
JKA

Because the command completes and exits. Just open a command
prompt window (Cmd or Command) & enter your Ping command
from the prompt window.

"JKA" <JKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My prompt goes away after I hit enter. Say I type ping yahhoo.com the
> whole
> command window closes?
> --
> JKA

jka

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2005

It goes away either way I try it. It is like it completes and then closes the
window.
--
JKA

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Because the command completes and exits. Just open a command
> prompt window (Cmd or Command) & enter your Ping command
> from the prompt window.
>
> "JKA" <JKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My prompt goes away after I hit enter. Say I type ping yahhoo.com the
> > whole
> > command window closes?
> > --
> > JKA

Start> Run>command....voila!
> It goes away either way I try it. It is like it completes and then closes
the
> window.
> --
> JKA
>

> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
> > Because the command completes and exits. Just open a command
> > prompt window (Cmd or Command) & enter your Ping command
> > from the prompt window.
> >
> > "JKA" <JKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My prompt goes away after I hit enter. Say I type ping yahhoo.com the
> > > whole
> > > command window closes?
> > > --
> > > JKA

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:57:45 -0700, JKA
<JKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It goes away either way I try it. It is like it completes and then closes the
>window.

Have you opened a command window, or a Start>Run window? The two are
not the same thing.

If it's Start>run, then type "cmd /k " (no quotes) before your
command, e.g. "cmd /k ping example.com". That tells Windows to leave
the command window open after executing the command. You can then
type further commands or "exit" (no quotes) to close the window.

To open a command window, there are several methods. One is
Start>Run, type "cmd" (no quotes) and hit Enter.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."