LapTop CPU Question

TOK2000

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2002
I'm looking at buying a laptop and I've noticed that some laptops are featuring Intel Mobile Centrino CPU's and Intel Pent M processors. Are these two the same processor? The Clock Speeds are much less than the Pent IV's that I see advertised.

Why would I buy a Centrino/Pent M vs buying a Pent 4?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
1.6ghz pentium M = a 2.4ghz p4

centrino = almost like a form factor made by intel...all Centrino based laptops must have a pentium M cpu and certain wireless networking features...ammong some other features...if not then they cannot label their laptops centrinos...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Do Mobile Athlon systems still use crappy motherboard chipsets?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
All Centrino laptops feature a Pentium M processor, Intel 855 chipset and Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 (wireless capabilities). If not all three are included, then the laptop can not be branded as a Centrino but I haven't seen any companies yet that have the Pentium M processor without the other two.

Now about the clock speeds. Pentium M is a whole new processor, that has nothing to do with Pentium 4. Its design is very different, and as a result it has much higher IPC, which means that clocked in lower speeds it can do the same job as a Pentium 4. If you search around for a few reviews, you will see that a Pentium M processor has the same speed as a 50% higher clocked Pentium 4 (e.g. 1.6GHz Pentium M = 2.4GHz Pentium 4).

The advantages of Pentium M processors, when compared to Pentium 4, is that they run much cooler, so you get very thin and light notebooks, which also produce less noise (no significant cooling necessary) and less heat.

I hope this helps.