Explorer displays c:...CommonBin at boot-up

DSL has just reached my neighborhood (oh joy!) and somewhere during
the installation futzing a couple things have changed.

At start-up, Windows Explorer now opens two windows. One displays:

c:\Program Files\Common\Bin

and the other displays:

c:\Windows\System32

When I first purchased this computer a year ago (a Dimension XPS
running Win XP SP1) the "System32" popped up, too, and unchecking
"/L:ENG" in MSCONFIG eliminated it. And it does so now.

But can anyone advise me on ridding myself of the "Bin" window?

--John W. Wells

Jim

John --

I don't know if this will help or not, but the latest version of Spybot
Search & Destroy, under tools --> startup, lists "all programs that
will be started along with Windows if you power on your system. It also
shows the reason each one starts, and has a little "check mark" in a
check box next to each one. If you remove the check mark, the
associated program won't start when you reboot. -- Just something to
mess around with.

Jim

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:12:39 -0700, Jim <nospam@anonymous.net> wrote:

>John --
>
>I don't know if this will help or not, but the latest version of Spybot
>Search & Destroy, under tools --> startup, lists "all programs that
>will be started along with Windows if you power on your system. It also
> shows the reason each one starts, and has a little "check mark" in a
>check box next to each one. If you remove the check mark, the
>associated program won't start when you reboot. -- Just something to
>mess around with.

Thanks for the pointer--just recently installed Spybot S&D and hadn't
noticed that feature. But it didn't list Explorer (perhaps since it's
such a basic component of Windows).

--John W. Wells

Here's one possible solution: Check the properties for the icon that opens
Windows Explorer. Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right-click on
Windows Explorer and select Properties/Shortcut. In the "target" box, it
probably points to the Bin folder that you mention. I prefer to have
Windows Explorer open in the C: drive. To do this, type the following in
the target box:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\

Ensure that you insert the spaces properly in the above string. There is a
space between explorer.exe and /e, and also between the comma and C:\. If
you want it to open in a specific folder, such as Program Files, insert the
following:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\Program Files

If you have desktop shortcuts to Windows Explorer, change these also. Hope
this helps.

Goodluck,
Key Bored

"John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
> DSL has just reached my neighborhood (oh joy!) and somewhere during
> the installation futzing a couple things have changed.
>
> At start-up, Windows Explorer now opens two windows. One displays:
>
> c:\Program Files\Common\Bin
>
> and the other displays:
>
> c:\Windows\System32
>
> When I first purchased this computer a year ago (a Dimension XPS
> running Win XP SP1) the "System32" popped up, too, and unchecking
> "/L:ENG" in MSCONFIG eliminated it. And it does so now.
>
> But can anyone advise me on ridding myself of the "Bin" window?
>
> --John W. Wells

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:18:59 -0800, "Key Bored"
<nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote:

>Here's one possible solution: Check the properties for the icon that opens
>Windows Explorer. Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right-click on
>Windows Explorer and select Properties/Shortcut. In the "target" box, it
>probably points to the Bin folder that you mention.

Nope! (That opening with Bin just cropped up recently--never used to
happen)

> I prefer to have
>Windows Explorer open in the C: drive. To do this, type the following in
>the target box:
>
>%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, C:\

Ahh, that doesn't solve my problem, but is something I didn't know and
solves one of Explorer XP's minor annoyances--opening to My Documents!

Thanks!

--John W. Wells