Right-click problem

August 26, 2005 2:28:53 AM

Whenever I right click a file, my PC hangs.

I think some system file has been corrupted.

Is there any fox for this apart from re-installing XP? I'm running XP Pro
SP2 with all the updates.

Cheers.

Bobby

More about : click problem

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:28:54 AM

Hi,
Use ShellExView from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html to disable
context menu items until you find the troublesome one.

Excellent information at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Bobby" <bobby[at]aventuremail.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I right click a file, my PC hangs.
>
> I think some system file has been corrupted.
>
> Is there any fox for this apart from re-installing XP? I'm running XP Pro
> SP2 with all the updates.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby
August 27, 2005 3:05:17 PM

Thanks Don.

I tried to use this program by disabling various non-MS programs but my PC
still hangs when I right click. The annoying thing is that it's fine other
than this - so I'm very reluctant to re-install XP.

Any ideas?

Bobby

> Hi,
> Use ShellExView from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html to disable
> context menu items until you find the troublesome one.
>
> Excellent information at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "Bobby" <bobby[at]aventuremail.com> wrote in message
>> Whenever I right click a file, my PC hangs.
>>
>> I think some system file has been corrupted.
>>
>> Is there any fox for this apart from re-installing XP? I'm running XP Pro
>> SP2 with all the updates.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Bobby

Related resources
August 27, 2005 3:05:18 PM

Bobby wrote:

> Thanks Don.
>
> I tried to use this program by disabling various non-MS programs but
> my PC still hangs when I right click. The annoying thing is that it's
> fine other than this - so I'm very reluctant to re-install XP.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bobby

>> Hi,
>> Use ShellExView from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html to
>> disable context menu items until you find the troublesome one.
>>
>> Excellent information at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE/OE]
>>
>> "Bobby" <bobby[at]aventuremail.com> wrote in message
>>> Whenever I right click a file, my PC hangs.
>>>
>>> I think some system file has been corrupted.
>>>
>>> Is there any fox for this apart from re-installing XP? I'm running
>>> XP Pro SP2 with all the updates.

Here are some other links that may help:

Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
Windows XP SP2 - http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace
objects - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hey Don. I did as you suggested properly instead of randomly (doh!)
disabling handlers.

My problem disappeared when I disabled all non-MS handlers - so I just
enabled one at a time and discovered the culprit.

Cheers. I'll buy you a dram when you next visit Glasgow.

!