Need Help to create a DOS Boot Partition ?

Hello

I want create Two partition on my hard disk

one with WindowsXP and One with Win 98 DOS Boot system

I just create its and if I change with FDisk the active partition (with CD
bootable), every thing is Ok :

I can boot corectly with XP partition or Win 98 Dos Partition (come from a
Bootable diskette)

BUT if I use a Boot.ini file on my XP partition like this :

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professionnel"
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect

the XP Boot work fine BUT MS-DOS don't work fine

My screen show an error like this

{dddd}System32\hal.dll doesn't exists ...

Someone could be help me to fine the solution of my problem

thank for your help !
6 answers Last reply
More about need create boot partition

    How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "azerty" wrote:

    | Hello
    |
    | I want create Two partition on my hard disk
    |
    | one with WindowsXP and One with Win 98 DOS Boot system
    |
    | I just create its and if I change with FDisk the active partition (with CD
    | bootable), every thing is Ok :
    |
    | I can boot corectly with XP partition or Win 98 Dos Partition (come from a
    | Bootable diskette)
    |
    | BUT if I use a Boot.ini file on my XP partition like this :
    |
    | [boot loader]
    | timeout=3
    | default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    | [operating systems]
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professionnel"
    | /fastdetect
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect
    |
    | the XP Boot work fine BUT MS-DOS don't work fine
    |
    | My screen show an error like this
    |
    | {dddd}System32\hal.dll doesn't exists ...
    |
    | Someone could be help me to fine the solution of my problem
    |
    | thank for your help !

    You need to start over. The DOS partition should be the First one, then XP
    in the next partition.

    Please see this Microsoft article on multi-booting
    How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/306559

    Il faut tout-a-fait recommoncer. (Excuser mon Francais)

    What happens now, is that the boot files are being initiated from your first
    partition and so you get the error.
    Bon chance !
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    azerty wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I want create Two partition on my hard disk
    >
    > one with WindowsXP and One with Win 98 DOS Boot system
    >
    > I just create its and if I change with FDisk the active partition (with CD
    > bootable), every thing is Ok :
    >
    > I can boot corectly with XP partition or Win 98 Dos Partition (come from a
    > Bootable diskette)
    >
    > BUT if I use a Boot.ini file on my XP partition like this :
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=3
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professionnel"
    > /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect
    >
    > the XP Boot work fine BUT MS-DOS don't work fine
    >
    > My screen show an error like this
    >
    > {dddd}System32\hal.dll doesn't exists ...
    >
    > Someone could be help me to fine the solution of my problem
    >
    > thank for your help !

    The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
    would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

    C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
    D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

    Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
    D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
    directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
    "D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
    asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
    partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
    Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
    readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
    Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
    FAT32.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
    of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
    second operating system on the second hard drive.

    It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
    such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
    uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
    installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    The first active partition is the second partition.
    The second partition is C:, because it active.

    This line is referring to a XP type operating system, which is causing the
    hal.dll error.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect

    The line should read:
    c:\="MS-DOS"
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > You need to start over. The DOS partition should be the First one, then
    > XP in the next partition.
    >
    > Please see this Microsoft article on multi-booting
    > How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/306559
    >

    > Il faut tout-a-fait recommoncer. (Excuser mon Francais)
    >
    > What happens now, is that the boot files are being initiated from your
    > first partition and so you get the error.
    > Bon chance !
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > --
    > "azerty" wrote
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I want create Two partition on my hard disk
    >>
    >> one with WindowsXP and One with Win 98 DOS Boot system
    >>
    >> I just create its and if I change with FDisk the active partition (with
    >> CD
    >> bootable), every thing is Ok :
    >>
    >> I can boot corectly with XP partition or Win 98 Dos Partition (come from
    >> Bootable diskette)
    >>
    >> BUT if I use a Boot.ini file on my XP partition like this :
    >>
    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=3
    >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> [operating systems]
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professionnel"
    >> /fastdetect
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect
    >>
    >> the XP Boot work fine BUT MS-DOS don't work fine
    >>
    >> My screen show an error like this
    >>
    >> {dddd}System32\hal.dll doesn't exists ...
    >>
    >> Someone could be help me to fine the solution of my problem
    >>
    >> thank for your help !

    Thanks a lot for your help, ron. With your advice, I understood better the
    boot.ini file and its syntax.

    I try do this on my computer but I need too restore the BootSect.DOS file on
    my active partition with this example and DEBUG.EXE DOS Program

    http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/dual/bootsectdos.html

    C:\="MS-DOS" use implicit the binary file c:\BootSect.DOS to start the
    computer, BootSect.DOS is a copy of boot sector of the target partition I
    need ....

    In fact, my real configuration is :

    Partition 1 : NTFS, XP Pro
    Partition 2 : FAT32, no system file, just for data ans save Ghost file ...
    Partition 3 : FAT (only 8 Mo size), DOS partition (Win98, create with a
    bootable diskette) I want use on it a Ghost software
    Partition 4 : NTFS, XP Pro (a save of Partition 1, for SOS if something work
    wrong on partition 1, necessary If i want read important file on NTFS
    partition 1)

    I want config my computer to restore very easy in the next time when
    "partition 1" shutdown (Virus, XP bad patch, bad installation of software,
    etc. ...)

    Maurice N. say me the first partition must be in DOS mode ("merci pour le
    "bonne chance", il en faut !!) , But it is a lot of work for me to change my
    configuration, moreover I would be sure it is not just for use automatic
    process of Windows XP installation. Moreover, I don't use XP standard CD
    installation (My computer (a notebook toshiba) use a repair CD disk with a
    ghost file ...)

    Now, If I use the "partition 3" option, computer start but Command.Com don't
    start !!

    I have this message :

    Enter name of Command Interpreter (for example, C:\Windows\Command.com)
    c>

    and nothing command work fine (dir, copy, cd, etc. ...)

    I try to copy it on Partition 1 but this tips don't work too

    NB : If I change with FDISK the active partition to Partition 3, every thing
    work fine >>> Partition 3 is a "good" partition ...

    thanks a lot for your help

    best regards !!

    "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    %23crVjHdqFHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > The first active partition is the second partition.
    > The second partition is C:, because it active.
    >
    > This line is referring to a XP type operating system, which is causing the
    > hal.dll error.
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect
    >
    > The line should read:
    > c:\="MS-DOS"
    > --
    > Ron Sommer
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> You need to start over. The DOS partition should be the First one, then
    >> XP in the next partition.
    >>
    >> Please see this Microsoft article on multi-booting
    >> How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/306559
    >>

    >> Il faut tout-a-fait recommoncer. (Excuser mon Francais)
    >>
    >> What happens now, is that the boot files are being initiated from your
    >> first partition and so you get the error.
    >> Bon chance !
    >> --
    >> Maurice N
    >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
    >> --
    >> "azerty" wrote
    >>> Hello
    >>>
    >>> I want create Two partition on my hard disk
    >>>
    >>> one with WindowsXP and One with Win 98 DOS Boot system
    >>>
    >>> I just create its and if I change with FDisk the active partition (with
    >>> CD
    >>> bootable), every thing is Ok :
    >>>
    >>> I can boot corectly with XP partition or Win 98 Dos Partition (come from
    >>> Bootable diskette)
    >>>
    >>> BUT if I use a Boot.ini file on my XP partition like this :
    >>>
    >>> [boot loader]
    >>> timeout=3
    >>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >>> [operating systems]
    >>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professionnel"
    >>> /fastdetect
    >>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect
    >>>
    >>> the XP Boot work fine BUT MS-DOS don't work fine
    >>>
    >>> My screen show an error like this
    >>>
    >>> {dddd}System32\hal.dll doesn't exists ...
    >>>
    >>> Someone could be help me to fine the solution of my problem
    >>>
    >>> thank for your help !

    I just find the solution !!

    in fact the System DOS partition must be the first of FAT16/32 partition on
    the disk

    in my case, the first FAT16/32 est partition 2, so even if I boot on
    Partition 3, Command.Com must be on partition 2 !!

    >>> I am going to switch order between partition2 and partition3

    Thanks everybody for your help !

    "azerty" <azerty@aaaa.fr> a écrit dans le message de news:
    u$2tgW9qFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> [...]
    >> The second partition is C:, because it active.
    >>
    >> This line is referring to a XP type operating system, which is causing
    >> the hal.dll error.
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="MS-DOS" /fastdetect
    >>
    >> The line should read:
    >> c:\="MS-DOS"
    >> --
    >> Ron Sommer
    >>
    >> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> You need to start over. The DOS partition should be the First one, then
    >>> XP in the next partition.
    >>>
    >>> Please see this Microsoft article on multi-booting
    >>> How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/306559
    >>>

    >>> Il faut tout-a-fait recommoncer. (Excuser mon Francais)
    >>>
    >>> What happens now, is that the boot files are being initiated from your
    >>> first partition and so you get the error.

DOS Partition Boot Windows XP