Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win 7 vertex 3

Last response: in Windows 7
November 6, 2012 9:41:39 PM

I started a new build, put together all the parts, but my new 90 gig vertex 3 ssd is not recognized for boot priority, so I assume it is not recognized as a boot device. it shows up in the bypass boot section of the bios, though. I tried installing windows 7, but it doesn't even see it. It recognizes my refurb hdd, but I don't trust it, as there is over 50 gigs missing from a 750 gig when I go to choose the install location. also, there was some sort of error the first time I clicked on it during windows install.

Any help?

WTF is wrong with my ssd? I tried it on sata 2 & sata 3, but still nothing.

Also, if there seems to be space missing from my hdd, should I RMA it before it crashes?

More about : win vertex

a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 10:07:45 PM

Di you enable AHCI in the bios before loading Windows ?
There can also be several places in the bios where you have to make sure that the SSD is listed first.
I have seen afer the boot priority option three other options where you choose what you want in the boot priority. One will list the hard drives and another will list the dvd drives and the third will list floppy and usb devices to be in the boot priority and the top component list in each section will be included in the boot priority.
I believe it was in a MSI motherboards bios that I saw that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 10:32:29 PM

Been there, seen it, done it, bought the t-shirt.

You've got to disconnect all hard drives except your SSD. It will then be top of the boot order as it will be the only drive on it. Install winodws then reconnect all your other hard drives. After all that, you may have to enter the bios and reassert the boot order with your SSD at the head of it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 6, 2012 10:46:53 PM

I honestly thought this was going to be a contest to win seven vertex 3 ssds.
Man was I bummed.

Anyway, Paul is probably right. You could most likely go into the hard disk priority section of your BIOS and move the SSD to priority 1, as well.
November 6, 2012 11:11:00 PM

dannoddd said:
Man was I bummed.

lol that's would be awesome

and yes, do what they said
m
l
November 6, 2012 11:22:51 PM

dannoddd said:
Man was I bummed.

Anyway, Paul is probably right. You could most likely go into the hard disk priority section of your BIOS and move the SSD to priority 1, as well.

haha, my bad. I tried that when all were plugged in. it didn't show up, or I got 2 different named for my dvd drive and a hard drive showing.
m
l
November 6, 2012 11:23:19 PM

pauls3743 said:
Been there, seen it, done it, bought the t-shirt.

You've got to disconnect all hard drives except your SSD. It will then be top of the boot order as it will be the only drive on it. Install winodws then reconnect all your other hard drives. After all that, you may have to enter the bios and reassert the boot order with your SSD at the head of it.

good point, but I cannot install windows without the dvd drive, and I tried without the hard drive and no drives showed for installation
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 6, 2012 11:50:42 PM

Be fair, the DVD drive is an optical drive, I only said to pull hard drives.

Anyway, it's possible your hard drive controller is not configured correctly. Enter your bios, make sure your hard drive controller is set for AHCI. IDE can disable some of your SATA ports. Try your SSD in another SATA port and try the installation again. Also make sure the SSD is at the top of your hard drive boot order, even though it's the only hard drive connected.
m
l
November 6, 2012 11:53:46 PM

pauls3743 said:
Be fair, the DVD drive is an optical drive, I only said to pull hard drives.

Anyway, it's possible your hard drive controller is not configured correctly. Enter your bios, make sure your hard drive controller is set for AHCI. IDE can disable some of your SATA ports. Try your SSD in another SATA port and try the installation again. Also make sure the SSD is at the top of your hard drive boot order, even though it's the only hard drive connected.

Can do, as soon as I get back to my pc tomorrow afternoon.

If that doesn't work, do I need to RMA the ssd? if a refurb hdd shows less space than advertised, is it still ok to use?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 12:41:51 AM

SSD - You might. If your bios does not see it then definitely yes.

Hard drive - Hard drive companies and operating systems declare hard drive space slightly differently to each other. Your 750GB is 750,000,000,000 bytes, this is what the hard drive company tells us. The operating system reads this in 1024 segments i.e. 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes, 1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes, 1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes. Because of this conversion, your operating system reads your 750GB hard drive as a little over 698GB. It shows my 1TB drives as 931GB and my 2TB drives as 1.81TB.
m
l
November 7, 2012 12:48:56 AM

pauls3743 said:
SSD - You might. If your bios does not see it then definitely yes.

Hard drive - Hard drive companies and operating systems declare hard drive space slightly differently to each other. Your 750GB is 750,000,000,000 bytes, this is what the hard drive company tells us. The operating system reads this in 1024 segments i.e. 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes, 1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes, 1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes. Because of this conversion, your operating system reads your 750GB hard drive as a little over 698GB. It shows my 1TB drives as 931GB and my 2TB drives as 1.81TB.

Thanks

If I install on the hard drive, can I change the main system drive after I install some drivers?

that's exactly what it said, and I was worried that it was trimmed, but I guess not.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 1:08:10 AM

lxgoldsmith said:
If I install on the hard drive, can I change the main system drive after I install some drivers?

The short answer is no, you're best to install onto the drive you plan to use for your operating system going forward. You should only need to install drivers for your SSD if the hard drive controller is set to RAID, the standard drivers should work in normal circumstances.

The long answer is yes but you need disc imaging tools, another hard drive to store that image on, a bit of time and patience and a good bit of luck. There is also the issue of resizing the operating system drive partition if it's larger than your SSD because it's not always as straight forward as simply shrinking it in disk manager.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 1:12:19 AM

When you install a hard drive and then load Windows , in the process of installing Windows there is an amopunt of space reserved by Windows for hibernation and system restore and other important functions of Windows. So the end result is a drive the starts out at say 256gb will end up at 247gb after all that is done. The amount of space taken will also increase with the higher versions of windows , like Windows professional and Ultimate.
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:28:11 PM

I have it set to ahci or whatever, and The bios sees it, but still the os wont see it. I don't know if the gigabyte cd has compatible drivers or the vertex 3 was just a rip-off, but PLEASE HELP, I am now in panic.
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:34:04 PM

Did I forget to mention I got a gigabyte z77x d3h? That and windows 7 home premium, 8 gigs ram, ihas dvd drive, i5 3570k, cm 212 evo, cm storm enforcer, 2 sickleflow fans, and xfx 550w
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 8:37:14 PM

When you do an install of Windows 7 you come to a point where it want to now where you want to install Windows and there is a box where it will list the available drives. If you have unpluged your other hard drives and all you have is the SSD and the box is blank , at the bottom of the screen it will say something like installing drivers. If you select that it will go to the next screen and there you should either see the SSD or have the option to load drivers. If you have the option to load drivers then that means the install program see's something but can't identify it so that will tell you that you need drivers for the SSD from the OCZ site.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 8:39:28 PM

I have dealt with OCZ and thier drives before , specificaly the RevoDrive and I had to load a driver for that. I didn't think that they needed a driver for a regular SSD but it appears that may be the case.
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:08:32 PM

inzone said:
When you do an install of Windows 7 you come to a point where it want to now where you want to install Windows and there is a box where it will list the available drives. If you have unpluged your other hard drives and all you have is the SSD and the box is blank , at the bottom of the screen it will say something like installing drivers. If you select that it will go to the next screen and there you should either see the SSD or have the option to load drivers. If you have the option to load drivers then that means the install program see's something but can't identify it so that will tell you that you need drivers for the SSD from the OCZ site.

At first, I felt stupid for not just clicking next, but then I got to that first screen, and it always says "no drives were found. (...)" I tried sata 3 and sata 2 and different drivers provided on the gigabyte cd, but it still says that.

I shouldn't need a driver for this, and I don't find any when i search ocz for "vertex 3 driver"

it never said it was installing drivers, so did I do something wrong?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 9:15:52 PM

I found recently when I just upgraded my computer that the drive with the os wants to be in the first sata 3 port on the motherboard (port 0) for the install program to recognize my SSD. So if the motherboard has four saa3 ports they will be 0,1,2,3 so put the Ocz SSD in port 0 on the sata 3 ports.
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:24:45 PM

it has been in the sata 0 port, and it shows up anywhere in the bios, can I or do I need to update the ssd firmware?
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:21:16 PM

I tried everything and nothing worked, so I will try to ask my school teacher if he can help me test it on a different computer. I think the os on the cd is flawed in a way that it doesn't include my ssd model in its list of supported ssd drives.

Can I try to install on a hard drive, then later install on the solid state drive also?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 7, 2012 10:31:06 PM

As long as you do it on the same computer. You can go to the OCZ forums and look for a firmware update.
m
l
November 7, 2012 11:47:03 PM

how can I install the firmware update? from bios or OS? if I fried it with esd, would it still be recognized by the bios?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 3:22:07 AM

The way I have done a firmware update before is with a bootable usb stick (pen drive) and a Linux OS. ( Ubuntu 11) The firmware upgrade worked fine and yes the SSD was still recognized in the bios. It's just a firmware update and if you follow the instructions it's no problem.
m
l
November 8, 2012 7:31:30 PM

I can install on the hard drive, so should I stop trying to install on the ssd? if I install on hdd, can I install on ssd later or try intel SRT?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2012 7:45:42 PM

I guess it your choice how you want to do it but there is something I don't think I mentioned and that's to make sure the sata mode in the bios is set to AHCI as the SSD will want that to be enabled.
m
l
November 8, 2012 7:48:28 PM

Best answer selected by lxgoldsmith.
m
l
November 8, 2012 7:57:07 PM

inzone said:
I guess it your choice how you want to do it but there is something I don't think I mentioned and that's to make sure the sata mode in the bios is set to AHCI as the SSD will want that to be enabled.

yeah, I understand that, and I will need to go back and make sure. it showed up as a choice, so based on what someone said earlier(it wont show up), I believe it might be set to ide. I am completing the installation now, and I will be configuring system settings and accounts. THANK YOU!!!
m
l
!