chucksomerock

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Ok so here's my laptop:
Duo Core 2.16ghz
4 gig of ddr2
Nvidia Quadro fx350m
Windows seven x86

Ok so yesterday i was vaccuming my appartment, and tought it was a great idea to get it in my fan WHILE THE LAPTOP WAS RUNNING.

Then i closed the lid of my laptop (download were running) and like 3 hours later, when i opened up the lid, the screen was like grayish, with white spot on the bottom and the top...
Then i shut down the laptop using the power button. Waited like one minute, started it up again, same *** happening...
When i push the start button, the hdd and dvd start spinning, and the keyboard leds, hdd led lights up.

My diagnostic is that vaccuming the fan broke it, and while my computer was downloading, the cpu fried up...
Am i correct?

And if i'm ok, do you guys think that simply buying a new fan and cpu will fix it?

thanks!

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
My theory is that your vacuum basically increased the speed of the fan, probably in the wrong direction. Basic mechanics shows that a generator is simply the inverse of a motor. By vacuuming the fan, you turned the fan into a generator, which forced extra power into the laptop.

Summary: I think you fried something with a power surge.

chucksomerock

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well the fan only has three little wires... so i don't know if it can do any hurt at all to the computer...
and as i stated above... the computer stopped working at least 6 hours later...

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Another bad thing with vacuuming is the high amount of static electricity generated while vacuuming. Does your laptop turn on all the way? Or just flash lights and go quiet?

chucksomerock

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
No, it stays on, the hdd and dvd player continues to spin...
And as i said, i just dismantled it all the way, and there is no burnt smell...
So any other opinion?

BTW thanks a lot Lotri for your comments.

Well, could you elaborate more on the current condition of the machine? Does it display anything at all?
If there is no POST at all, you have damaged one ore more core components. Considering your vaccuming adventure as the only problem factor, you may have:

-an overheated/overheating CPU and/or motherboard chipset: Laptop cooling is quite integrated, so your CPU may not be the damaged part.

-shorted your ATX +5 power line, not by running reverse, but by running too fast. It means there is no resistance from the fan (zero ohms), and thus, high current circulation that may damage the small atx power lines. That could mean your ipower supply is damaged, while it may not even smell.

chucksomerock

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
ok...
no there is no POST at all.
When a push the ON button, the hdd boots, the dvd boots and that's it.
The screen becomes grayish, and then white spot starts to appear from the bottom and the top of the computer. (non-pixel spots)

I also insist on the fact that the computer failed like 4 hours later of my "vaccuming adventure" :p.

I also have a friend who has the exact same computer as i do (Precision m65)
Would it be a good idea for me to try component of my computer on his one to diagnose the problem?

thanks a lot for the response!

chucksomerock

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Ok i just had a chat with a guy from the TI department at my job and here's what he told me to do:

Try my cpu on my friend laptop to see if it still works.
If it do, buy a new motherboard and voila.

I've seen motherboard on ebay for 130$ 30 days warranty... so it won't be so bad...

what do you guys think?

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
get a different version of drivers if you can...

try hooking the computer up to a separate monitor or run it in safe mode so that you can load new drivers (sometimes reverting to older drivers is the safest bet)

if that doesn't work...

good luck *shuffles feet*

Status
Not open for further replies.