ike

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003
Haha.

In all seriousness though i do hope AMD has a superb hit on there hands. But my question really leans towards what Nvidia is doing. Whats the new beast going to run on? i know that its the nforce3 blah blah blah. When intel makes a new chipset they get a new proc, or vicea-versa. So whats the new behe going to be? still 400mhz bus?

I have a feeling that this will not be an AMD show as much as an AMD/Nvidia show.

Just thought i'ld say somethin that would get us away from...
My A64 beats your Scotty, My Scotty beats your A64, OMG delays, Its running 92375watts, 64bit, etc.,...

I like the ease of intel systems.
I like the fun of overclocking amd systems.
That must make me mulatto or something.

eden

Champion
Yeah but, with the on-die mem controller, mainboard-choice will not be based mainly on chipset performance anymore, but on the feature-set. nVidia will need to look at memory performance from here on, not Northbridge chipset performance.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah the chipset is actually much simplified with the Nforce3.

no memory controller means you have a main chip a fraction of the size, plus it runs much cooler, having only to deal with the AGP bus and the hyperlink to the southbridge.

So they could focus on added extra's to the southbridge like 4 or 8 way Sata raid controllers and more USB/Firewire ports etc.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah the chipset is actually much simplified with the Nforce3.

no memory controller means you have a main chip a fraction of the size, plus it runs much cooler, having only to deal with the AGP bus and the hyperlink to the southbridge.

So they could focus on added extra's to the southbridge like 4 or 8 way Sata raid controllers and more USB/Firewire ports etc. or optimising the speed of the NB -> SB interlink.

<b>My Car comes with Hyper Threading enabled:
1970 General Motors Holden HT Kingswood Wagon :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

eden

Champion
Didn't you read last year's April Fools on THG?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=green><b>A sexual experience like never before seen</font color=green></b></A>
Site has now even more sexy members, for your pleasure.