games close down to task bar please help

my games close down into task bar . sometimes i just click it then it opens
up and works ok now when i plat fifa2005 it freezes my game no joy eh please
help any ideas
1 answer Last reply
More about games close task help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.discussion (More info?)

    Hi,

    "no1 dummie" <no1 dummie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6297D81D-F311-4A03-BF81-D3A938940271@microsoft.com...
    | my games close down into task bar . sometimes i just click it then it opens
    | up and works ok now when i plat fifa2005 it freezes my game no joy eh please
    | help any ideas

    Here are some solutions (and workarounds) to deal with the problem where games minimize to the Task Bar.

    1. Install and/or play the game using an administrator account.

    2. Keyboard software has been known to cause this problem. One player
    posted that by un-installing their Trust Silverline Direct Access keyboard
    software, all their games worked again without minimizing to the Task Bar.

    3. Norton's AntiVirus (Internet Security) can cause the problem as well. The
    workaround is to disable the program. To do so, right click it's Tray icon.
    One person wrote: "I just went to the Norton Anti-virus options, and turned
    off the Liveupdate auto update option. It worked like a charm for me."

    4. One person wrote: "I finally found that if I open the command line, cd to
    the directory, then type the program name, it works!!!"

    5. Yet another workaround is to click the screen after you launch the game.

    If the problem persists, please try these additional troubleshooting steps. :-)

    The most common causes for that problem can be solved with
    these few steps. If the problem persists after you've tried these,
    please post back and we'll try some more solutions. Good luck! :-)

    A. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

    You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    B. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
    Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
    Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

    C. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
    / Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
    the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

    D. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
    Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Some games
    require a patch: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    E. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
    For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
    Checklist of Solutions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Games Microsoft Video Games