Difficulty booting OS, BS virus?

Bwthomas77

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hello all, this is my first post so please forgive if this is not categorized or phrased appropriately. I am having a lot of difficulty loading my OS onto my brand new PC. Let me begin the saga,
I had a Dell XPS 710 running dual core, WIN7 HP, 3 500 GB (newish) seagate HDD in RAID5, 4GB ram. This system worked great for about 4 months after putting WIn7 on then started to notice IE would freeze up frequently but always fixed by closing and reopening. Then came home after a auto update about 4 weeks ago that the computer would not boot - Got stuck on the screen with the windows right before startup and would never progress. I could load to safe mode but unable to repair. I then tried to clean install win7. Would get stuck at about 70% on the completing install. Could get Vista on system and upgrade to win7 but then after a couple of days of using it would do the same thing. I figured it was probably a hardware issue with the aging dell so I bought a new desktop from cyberpower pc without an OS. Here are the specs:
INTEL i7-930 2.80GHZ
SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM
6GB DDR3 / 1600 MHZ MEMORY
BLACK SONY 24X DVDRW
ASUS P6T SE X58
ASUS U3S6
COOLERMASTER 850WATTS REAL POWER PRO
EVGA GTS 250 1GB DDR3
NZXT INTERNAL USB 6-PORT EXPANSION MO
I put my 3 500 Gb HDD and DVD ROM from the dell into the new PC, formated everything and set up in RAID 5. Same problem on install. Installed excitedly with new comp and low and behold same problem. Win7 hangs on install at completing install step. I tried installing XP pro and get the BSOD with a 0x0000007b error. I can (strangely enough) still get Vista to install but after using and updating to SP1 i get a BSOD with error 0x000001e. Plus I can't even get WIN7 to upgrade from VISTA. I have been at this for over a week. I have been scouring the internet for advice. It seems the loading with WIN7 is not an uncommon problem. However, I have not encountered anyone with similar issues as me. I have flashed the BIOS to the newest mode. I even bought a 160GB HDD and unplugged all of my other HDD/old DVD and tried to boot using WIN7. Same hanging problem. I have considered I may have a Boot sector virus but i would think using the brand new HDD should have ruled that out (the others were not plugged in when I tried to boot). I am now heavily monetarily and time invested and am no closer to having a usable computer. I am going to try using killdisk and format the other disks. If anyone has any advice for me on this problem I would really appreciate it. I don't know if I am having the same problem with the Dell, but frustration level is at a all time high. I feel like I may have some horrendous virus but i just don't know. THANKS in advance.