Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

spoolsv.exe with DNS wants access. WinXP

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:37:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When I started my computer today, ZoneAlarm popped up with spoolsc.exe
asking for access. The destination IP is 64.59.144.19:D NS.

My computer automatically downloads updates from MS, avast,
spywareblaster (I think it's called) - I think that's it.

I've denied the access, but should I allow it? What is that
destination?

If it's somethig bad, should I be getting rid of it somehow?

Thanks.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:46:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

can_dori@yahoo.com wrote:

> When I started my computer today, ZoneAlarm popped up with spoolsc.exe
> asking for access. The destination IP is 64.59.144.19:D NS.
>
> My computer automatically downloads updates from MS, avast,
> spywareblaster (I think it's called) - I think that's it.
>
> I've denied the access, but should I allow it? What is that
> destination?
>
> If it's somethig bad, should I be getting rid of it somehow?
>
> Thanks.

Very interesting. I get hit twice a day, once in the morning and
once in the afternoon, asking to connect to Port 161 of several
HP printers on the local network. This started right after the
most recent update of the Windows update engine to version 6 and
WGA. Denying access had no ill impact...just annoying.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:34:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

64.59.144.19 is pd2nsc2.st.vc.shawcable.net.

Deny access.

spoolsv.exe is the Spooler SubSystem App it is the PrintSpooler service.
The PrintSpooler service loads files to memory for later printing.

For some reason this service always thinks that it is on a network whether
it
is or not.

Nothing to worry about if you deny it internet access.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1125009479.250626.295600@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
can_dori@yahoo.com <can_dori@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> When I started my computer today, ZoneAlarm popped up with spoolsc.exe
> asking for access. The destination IP is 64.59.144.19:D NS.
>
> My computer automatically downloads updates from MS, avast,
> spywareblaster (I think it's called) - I think that's it.
>
> I've denied the access, but should I allow it? What is that
> destination?
>
> If it's somethig bad, should I be getting rid of it somehow?
>
> Thanks.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:05:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Both comments are interesting.
I do connect through Shaw cable, and I know my computer did a recent
update from Microsoft. The zonealarm alert has now changed from orange
to blue. Since the DNS is shaw, will it hurt to allow it access?

Thanks for your responses.
Dori
PS (what does pd2nsc2.st.vc mean? - or is it too complicated to
explain?)

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> 64.59.144.19 is pd2nsc2.st.vc.shawcable.net.
>
> Deny access.
>
> spoolsv.exe is the Spooler SubSystem App it is the PrintSpooler service.
> The PrintSpooler service loads files to memory for later printing.
>
> For some reason this service always thinks that it is on a network whether
> it
> is or not.
>
> Nothing to worry about if you deny it internet access.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:37:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Deny access. Unless you're on a network, there is no reason for the Print
Spooler to connect to the internet.

Click: Remember this answer the next time I use this program. when Zone
Alarm pops up with Spooler SubSystem App again. And then forget about it.

Where did you find pd2nsc2.st.vc?

File Extension Details for .VC
http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=vc

File Extension Details for .ST
http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=st

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1125165902.431415.264460@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
can_dori@yahoo.com <can_dori@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Both comments are interesting.
> I do connect through Shaw cable, and I know my computer did a recent
> update from Microsoft. The zonealarm alert has now changed from orange
> to blue. Since the DNS is shaw, will it hurt to allow it access?
>
> Thanks for your responses.
> Dori
> PS (what does pd2nsc2.st.vc mean? - or is it too complicated to
> explain?)
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> 64.59.144.19 is pd2nsc2.st.vc.shawcable.net.
>>
>> Deny access.
>>
>> spoolsv.exe is the Spooler SubSystem App it is the PrintSpooler service.
>> The PrintSpooler service loads files to memory for later printing.
>>
>> For some reason this service always thinks that it is on a network
>> whether it
>> is or not.
>>
>> Nothing to worry about if you deny it internet access.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:36:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm having the same problem when I boot up, except the same message (from
Norton Internet Security) keeps repeating, even though I select "Always block
access". I usually have to make this selection about 20 times before it
stops. I have run a couple of virus scans and nothing pops up. Any ideas on
how to get rid of these access attempts in a way that I do not have to
respond to this pop up message repeatedly?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Deny access. Unless you're on a network, there is no reason for the Print
> Spooler to connect to the internet.
>
> Click: Remember this answer the next time I use this program. when Zone
> Alarm pops up with Spooler SubSystem App again. And then forget about it.
>
> Where did you find pd2nsc2.st.vc?
>
> File Extension Details for .VC
> http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=vc
>
> File Extension Details for .ST
> http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=st
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1125165902.431415.264460@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
> can_dori@yahoo.com <can_dori@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Both comments are interesting.
> > I do connect through Shaw cable, and I know my computer did a recent
> > update from Microsoft. The zonealarm alert has now changed from orange
> > to blue. Since the DNS is shaw, will it hurt to allow it access?
> >
> > Thanks for your responses.
> > Dori
> > PS (what does pd2nsc2.st.vc mean? - or is it too complicated to
> > explain?)
> >
> > Wesley Vogel wrote:
> >> 64.59.144.19 is pd2nsc2.st.vc.shawcable.net.
> >>
> >> Deny access.
> >>
> >> spoolsv.exe is the Spooler SubSystem App it is the PrintSpooler service.
> >> The PrintSpooler service loads files to memory for later printing.
> >>
> >> For some reason this service always thinks that it is on a network
> >> whether it
> >> is or not.
> >>
> >> Nothing to worry about if you deny it internet access.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
>
!